Macbook Pro video output question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricVT, Feb 23, 2008.

1. EricVT macrumors member

Hi all!

I have a question about the video output options for the current MBP (which I do not own but will be picking up if nothing new is announced shortly). I currently have a Toshiba DLP television (1280x720 native resolution) which has HDMI input but no DVI. Will I be able to connect a MBP to this television via a DVI-HDMI converter cable? Will I be able to adjust the options on the MBP to change the output resolution to 1280x720 and adjust its positioning on my television and whatnot?

Also, does anyone know how the picture output generally is with the MBP via DVI? I connect my current laptop to my television via S-Video and it is rather lackluster quality but it gets the job done. I assume that by passing a digital signal from the MBP to my television via DVI-HDMI I should be able to get a rather nice quality picture on my television with nicely readable text and whatnot, right?

Thanks for any help or for sharing your experiences!

2. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I have no problems connecting my MBP to a friend's HD tv. I bought a cheap DVI to HDMI dongle and everything works flawlessly. It is great for watching movies that I have stored on my HDD.

3. EricVT thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the response!

May I ask what size television you hooked it up to?

4. murc585 macrumors regular

I have had my MacBook connected to our sharp aquos 42" 1080p television just using a dvi to hdmi cable and it looks great. if you already have a dvi cable, jsut buy the dongle though.