Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smuggler

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Can I just say I got my 27 inch imac Jan 2011 (so mid 2010 model) it came with SL 10.6.4 - I remember my daughter asked me how's your new mac I said great the screen is overwhelming....but periodically there is a little click sound and the mac crashes to a black screen!

Now Ive read loads on this and its been categorised as a macbook issue or a Lion issue but I can confirm its also an imac issue and a Snow Leopard issue, my black screens usually occur through simple browsing or email checking...they never occur when playing an intensive game like sims 3

I am running snow off a external hard drive (for testing) and still get BSOD - previously I ran ML off external HD and I would be lucky if it ran for 30 secs- I have to say Im losing faith - I had 11 great years of home computing with mac now I have had 2 incredibly crappy years -when I bought this I gave away my original aluminium imac 10.5 ...I wish I still had that

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Can I just say I got my 27 inch imac Jan 2011 (so mid 2010 model) it came with SL 10.6.4 - I remember my daughter asked me how's your new mac I said great the screen is overwhelming....but periodically there is a little click sound and the mac crashes to a black screen!

Now Ive read loads on this and its been categorised as a macbook issue or a Lion issue but I can confirm its also an imac issue and a Snow Leopard issue, my black screens usually occur through simple browsing or email checking...they never occur when playing an intensive game like sims 3

I am running snow off a external hard drive (for testing) and still get BSOD - previously I ran ML off external HD and I would be lucky if it ran for 30 secs- I have to say Im losing faith - I had 11 great years of home computing with mac now I have had 2 incredibly crappy years -when I bought this I gave away my original aluminium imac 10.5 ...I wish I still had that

It is a hardware issue and the solution is to get a logic board replacement sadly. If you are still under warranty/Apple Care then take it to the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.