MacBook Pro Violent Flashing Screen Crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tntmac fans7, Apr 9, 2010.

1. tntmac fans7 macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone. I'm having a terrible issue with my MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo A1226 (not unibody). All of a sudden, the screen began flashing violently, terribly violently. And as soon as it happened, the entire computer froze up. After forcing it to shut down and powering back up, it cannot boot past the gray restart screen.

Does anybody have an idea what may have caused this issue and/or how I can fix it? It's past warranty so I doubt the Apple Store can help, but I'm going to go there anyway.

As a hobbyist computer technician who repairs/upgrades/etc. Apple computers all the time, this is an extremely unique occurrence that has got me scared out of my whits. Please help. Thank you!

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

To me that sounds like the graphics card going. wasn't there a problem with the santa rosa's graphics cards? if that is the case i believe apple can fix it for you. i may be wrong on this but i remember reading something like that here on this site.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd have it check out by Apple; if they determine it is a GPU issue it will be repaired for free (even out of warranty).

4. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Exactly. And the sooner, the better.

5. tntmac fans7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks, you guys, for the prompt replies. I'll take it to the Apple Store when I get back in town. I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed. The Apple Store replacing anything for free sounds like a miracle. You know, I hear a lot of incredible stories of the Apple Store's generosity, replacing and repairing iPods and computers for free, but it just doesn't ever seem to happen to me. :( We'll just have to hope for the best! Thanks again.

6. aha macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I had same problem with Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 2.2, please let me know if apple cover your gpu problem for freee no charge at all,

thanks

Guys, I had solution, worth to try this www://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&start=60 my MBP running again now :)

7. cjmal macrumors 6502

Like others have said, if it's a problem with the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GPU, Apple has acknowledged this as an issue and has offered to replace it for free even out of warranty

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

8. kevinnak macrumors newbie

Logic Board failure

I had the same problem. Flashing screen, pixelating in different colors, and then fully locked up. Upon restarting, sometimes would get beyond the blue apple screen but mostly would just keep spinning on that screen. I have a Macbook Pro 17" purchased in December of 2008. Failure happened last week --Aug 2010. I didn't have Apple Care but took it into the Genius Bar to see what they could find. The tech ran some diagnostics and found the Logic Board to be bad with a couple different tests. He looked it up and said that the repair is common and that the company that made those boards --or some graphics chip in the board?-- knew that some of the products they sent out could be bad so they were replacing it for free. I would imagine if this failure happens to anyone along the line the Apple Store would fix their units at no charge in light of this.

9. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

Fixed!!!

I went to the Apple store.
    My MBP 17" is 2007, 1 yr past the apple care 3 yr warranty.
    They ran a test on the graphics card and the Logic (mother) board.
    It failed the Logic test and passed the graphics card test (Navida?)
    They took it and fixed the logic board for free...
    Would have been $950 to fix if not... yikes!!!
    Apple rocks...
    In the past year, they have replaced for free...
    my hardrive, which crashed, upped it to a 250gig
    my battery, which poofed open
    my bottom case, the button broke
    and now the Logic (mother) board.
    NO PC company would ever do that... EVER!!!