MacBook Pro virgin....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bronze84, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Bronze84 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Newbie here so don't bite. :)

Well I've been a windows user for last 15 years. However since buying an iPhone 4S I've been hooked! That led me to buy an iPad 2 and today I've just placed an order from Apple for a MacBook Pro 13". I upgraded to 8gb ram and a 750gb hdd. Cannot wait for delivery!

Anyway. Hope I've posted in the right section as couldn't find a newbie area(?!)

Couple of quick questions - what is the easiest way to transfer everything from my pc to my MacBook? - was thinking of using an external hdd?

Secondly, is there a 'hints and tips' section of the forum?

Cheers

Martin

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You have the right idea with the external hard drive. Hope you didn't buy those upgrades straight from Apple, a hard drive can be have for about 100-120 while 8GB RAM can be had for right around 40 bucks from a third party, Apple overcharges a whole lot for upgrades.

Welcome to the dark side!

3. liushi macrumors newbie

liushi

To your first question:
    I think using an external hdd is the most straight forward way. Since you need not setup anything.

Other options include setting up a local network and usingSamba, FTP, or NFS. It takes time to set up these things, especially if you need to first figure out how to use them. However, once set up, your transfer will be faster.

To your second question:
    I'm new to Mac too. I think a book such as OS X Mountain Lion Pocket Guideis great.

4. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dam! Yep I upgraded it through the website. Well first mistake made! I didn't buy Pages etc are these available on the Mac App Store if I decide later on to buy? I have them for my ipad

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes they are available through the App Store.

6. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

With regards to transferring everything - particularly my music in iTunes. How does that work? Can I physically transfer all of iTunes or do I have to find the files on my pc hard drive to transfer. I had an issue when I went from desktop to laptop (both windows) where I transferred my media from desktop to the laptop via hdd but when I opened iTunes I had to manually add over 600 albums about 100gb and I had to totally organise it again. Was a right ball ache, if that makes sense :-/

7. ontrack31 macrumors member

Don't worry, I made the same silly mistake. But I haven't upped my memory, as I thought 8 GB was plenty. But if I ever need to upgrade to 16 GB, I won't buy from Apple. LOL

8. liushi macrumors newbie

liushi

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Good luck!

9. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I just bought a 15" Macbook Pro this summer after being a microsoft user since the days of ms-dos.

Anyway, if you buy a new external hard drive to transfer your files then after you verify that your files are on the MBP you can set up the HDD to do automatic backups with Time Machine.

In all those years of using desktops I did a lot of fiddling with the innards so I'm not afraid to open a machine. I bought the upgraded Macbook Pro because I don't want to do my first laptop hardware changes on a brand new machine.

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Short version of the page - Migration Assistant. Built in to OSX, no need for external drives if you have a wired network. Will work over WiFi, but is obviously slower.

11. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Quick question - antivirus??? Hear so many different things I don't know what to believe??? Also would I need a program like CCleaner once in a while?

12. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

No need. No viruses exist in the wild that affect OS X and the handful of Trojans that are out there can be avoided easily with common sense.

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

get to learn all the gestures, they will help you with everyday tasks and you'll come to love your mac more than anything else

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.
    If you still want to run antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.

No, you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

This may be useful:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks

15. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Woohoo. My MBP gets delivered tomorrow (tues) with UPS - anyone have any idea what sort of time it will arrive, or is it pot luck? (UK)

16. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If it is like the US, then it will arrive based on the location of your house in relation to the driver's route. No one can answer that question except you if you've had other deliveries from the same company - time will be close.

17. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Could be any time of the day - each area is different. Just depends what time your local delivery guy decides to do your bit.

For me, UPS is usually between 2-3pm. Parcelforce are usually before 10pm. Its been like this for the past 3-4 years.

Enjoy :D

18. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Strong rumor today Retina 13" available in 2 weeks. FYI.

I tried Migration Assistant, Apple wants to load a software on your Windows machine, and that software requires Java-something so if u don't have that u would have to download that also. At the end I personally found Migration Assistant more trouble than it's worth.

These days I assume every device u own is already on the LAN so... all you have to do is to put your PC on the LAN. On the Mac side, open Finder, Go -> Connect to Server. Server Name is "smb://yourwindowsmachine/C$" the account you input is your windows' administrator account. If you want to access another drive then obviously it would be D$, E$ etc. At first the Mac may take a little bit to bring over the information, be patience, maybe 30 seconds. That's it, you can now copy the stuff over PC-to-Mac. Nothing to buy, nothing to install.

If u have lots of data to move over, use ethernet instead of WIFI.

19. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

+1. If you can wait OP - i'd return the machine and hold out and see what Apple does with the 13" Retina.

20. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up. Would the 13" retina be tied in with the ipad mini rumor?

21. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Think the 13" retina would be way out of budget - the cheapest MBP retina starts at the same price as the highest (standard) spec 15" MBP in UK