MacBook Pro Viruses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PsychWriter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. PsychWriter macrumors newbie

Hi! I just bought a MacBook Pro and let me say I absolutely love it! My love/hate relationship with Bill Gates has ended!

The only disappointing thing is searching Apple.com for answers. The website bites and the nearest Apple store is 2 hours away.

I am adjusting to Leopard, but am a little confused about using several programs, but my biggest concern is viruses. Do I really not need virus protection?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You really don't. Welcome to safety. And relative nudity.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors!
    No, there are no viruses that run on the Mac. Please search the forums to find dozens of threads on this subject, before starting a repetitive thread.

4. wightstraker macrumors regular

Most people say it isn't necessary on a Mac, and realistically, they're probably right. I, however, would rather be safe than sorry. I use Virex.

If you use your computer for work, you have a good chance of getting your employer to foot the bill in the name of "company security." Worked for me.

5. PsychWriter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the program just to be on the safe side. I'm self-employed, so I'll be footing the bill, but I hate crashing computers, so It may be worth it. I had to reformat my brand new Toshiba 3 times in 2 weeks.

This mac is a real life saver! I especially love the lighted keyboard. Very Sweet!

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Welcome to the virus free world! and congratz on that purchase. I dont even know why norton has antivirus for mac, since there arent any viruses, I expect the symantec liveupdate feature is almost nonexistent since there arent any viruses, so the virus definitions dictionary must be quite shirt, if it exists at all.