Macbook pro - VMware Fusion Question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by labteov, May 11, 2012.

1. labteov macrumors newbie

He their..

So i got my macbook couple of days ago( w00t ) and im setting things up, but their is 1 issue that i cannot get solved.

It is when i start VMware Fusion and start the game Aion, everything works perfect but the moment i press right click (i connected an USB windows mouse, just a standard 1) and i want to look around, it starts spinning all over the place.

i was hopin someone could help me resolve this issue, further im very satisified with my new laptop.. looks way smoother and is runnin way better then my old windows laptop.

(dont come with: dont game on a mac bla bla, and why did you bought mac if u use windows, i need windows just for couple of things...)

Thanks in advance

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The game is probably not entirely supported by VMware Fusion thats why you're having issues.

You can check out VMware's support forums to find any more information about your situation or you can install Windows under Boot Camp which essentially make your MacBook Pro into a PC with full access to its hardware.

3. labteov thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i've done that with bootcamp but i want windows just to run in unity mode, not to be back to fully windows again..

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You want to have your cake and eat it too.:rolleyes:
    Fusion is ok for office and some productivity apps, but it's not great for most games.

If you want to limit your Windows use, your best bet is bootcamp.
    Boot windows for games only, and OSX for everything else.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

same for me some 3D games im VMware work fine i can use the mouse or trackpad to rotate my view like the game intends and some are like you say all over the place, so i guess its just based on what VWware can support

6. labteov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply's but i dont want to reboot all the time to switch between windows and osx.. Because sometimes i need OS and Windows together so i need either parallels or VMware :)

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Then you won't be playing Aion or most other 3d games :)

8. labteov thread starter macrumors newbie

other people have managed to do so in VMware but i cannot found the solution. I can install bootcamp aswell, but that would mean i have windows installed twice, wich is kinda to much lol

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The only other thing you can try is to link the USB of your mouse directly to VMware, making it useless under OSX so it won't be seamless, but thats the only thing you can try.

Otherwise, you'll have to reboot

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

VMWare can access your bootcamp install, so you'd only have it installed once.
    You'd only need to reboot for games, everything else would work in VMWare.

11. labteov thread starter macrumors newbie

So i gotta delete the VMware install now, then setup bootcamp and then setup VMWare trough the bootcamp install?

I'll guess i'll have to do that aslong as they dont bring an mac version.. Thanks for the help.

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yup. Once bootcamp is setup, VMWare recognizes it and lets you make a new virtual machine from your bootcamp install.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Running the game under VMware even when linked to the bootcamp partition won't solve the issue. You'll have to dual boot into Windows to run it properly.

14. labteov thread starter macrumors newbie

Issnt that what im saying?

I delete VMware now, and install Bootcamp and later i install vmware again (linked to bootcamp) but i will play games in Bootcamp and will use vmware when i need to work, so i have vmware in unity mode.

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yup, what you've said here will work just fine. YOu don't even need to delete VMWare, just the Windows install that you made in it.

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Don't need to delete Fusion. set up Bootcamp then boot into OSX and set up a VM within Fusion to access the bootcamp partition. Then you have a choice of booting into windows or running it as a VM, and it's the same instance of Windows.

17. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

You could also demo Parallels because its known better for games than VMware.