MacBook Pro vs. Air Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlandz, Aug 19, 2011.

1. badlandz macrumors newbie

Within the next week I think I'll be buying a MacBook, but can't decide which. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices (I think)

1) Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, Originally released April 2010, 15.4-inch LED-backlit antiglare Hi-Res widescreen display (1680 x 1050 pixel).

I like this because of the i7, and screen resolution... I think... But it's last years, and I thought I read that the new Airs were arguably as fast as the older Pros?

2) New MacBook Air 13-inch, 128GB, 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor.

On the surface, I would think that a 2.66 i7 in the pro is going to be much faster than the 1.7GHz i5. It sounds sort of obvious to me, but... Rather than just assume that bigger numbers translate into higher performance, I thought I'd ask. The i5 in the Air is SandyBridge, right? What's the older i7? Is it really going to be a big speed difference?

2. neenja macrumors 6502

usually with threads like this, its always needed to list the things that you do with your machine

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Not, actually.

The MacBook Air's processor is almost equal to that MacBook Pro. As well, the MacBook Air has an SSD which will make it apparently much faster than the MacBook Pro.

The 1.8ghz MacBook Air is actually faster, as far as CPU benchmarks, than that MacBook Pro.

Same (or better apparent performance) in a slimmer package? The choice is yours.

4. badlandz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I thought that would bias it ;-) But, 90% document editing (when it won't matter at all, and the Air is the obvious choice), and 10% Logic (where the Pro will probably be an obvious choice).

I think both will probably do everything I'd need. But I'm more curious about the old i7 vs. new i5 thing.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Those two are going to be about even processor wise.

So your decision is whether you want the 15" screen and upgradeability and expandability of the MBP (to say nothing of the superior graphics) or the greater portability of the Air.

Also, note that you can never upgrade the RAM in the Air as it is soldered to the board. So if you ever wanted to increase RAM, you can't, while on the 2010 MBP you can upgrade it to a maximum of 8 GB.

6. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I have both the 2011 MBP 17" and the 2011 MBA 11". I prefer to use the MBA in most instances even though my Sandy Bridge MBP 17" benchmarks at twice the speed of the MBA.

8. gnozh macrumors newbie

gnozh

MBA is much faster in handling most tasks due to the magical SSD.:)

9. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Put a SSD in a 13" MBP and it's Magically FASTER than a MBA :)

10. Kafka, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

Kafka macrumors 6502

Comes down to your priorities:
    - real estate (IMHO now with fullscreen apps -the way I use the surface of my screen anyway-, 1440x900 just became the sweet spot with OS X - some people might not care about fullscreen apps though)
    - GPU (basically yes or no?)
    - portability (just not in the same class at all)
    - storage (always nice)
    - crazy SSD speed (a pleasure really)
    - display quality, because MBP screens are so much better than the Airs.

Have you considered a 13" MBP with SSD?
    I know I returned my Air and kept my 13" MBP, but hey I don't even know what Logic is :)

11. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Did you put an SSD in your 13" MBP?