MacBook Pro vs Alienware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thork, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Thork, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Thork macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

So I bought one year ago (exactly) a new laptop to fit my need which were to buy able to play some games with full power and be able to move the computer around.
    So I bought a Alienware M15x.
    • Intel Core i5 Processor 520M(2,4GHz,3Mo memory)
    • 15,6po Large Screen HD+ (1600 x 900) WLED
    • 4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    • 250Go Serial ATA (7200tr/min)
    • 1GB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5850
    • ROW Intel WiFi Link 5300 (a/g/n) Carte
    • 2 years full coverage warranty
    1400€

Now my needs have changed and I think I have to buy an another computer.
    I only have a PC since 5 years, before I always had a mac, so now maybe it is time to come back to basics.

My needs are: Semi professionnal work on Photosop CS5, Adobe Premiere CS5 (1 hour clips maximum!), Adobe After Effects (very small usage), Mail (with several accounts) and a lot of internet using a lot of tabs (20 all the time) with dual screen.

I have already a second screen.

Do you think that the MacBook Pro will be more powerful, less powerful than the Alienware?
    :confused:

MacBook Pro 15"
    Intel Core i7, 2,2 GHz
    4 Go de SDRAM DDR3 à 1 333 MHz - 2 x 2 Go
    Serial ATA de 500 Go à 5 400 tr/min
    Anti Glow screen du MacBook Pro 15 pouces

2. JT123 macrumors member

Yes the Macbook Pro specs wise is faster.

OSX is Completely different to Windows 7, so it doesn't matter which one is faster because they will both do the job, more important (in this case) is whether you like OSX or Windows 7.

3. simsaladimbamba

All you want to do will run fine on that MBP, but you can upgrade via third party retailers like Amazon, to 8GB RAM for less than 60€, which will help immensely with the multi tasking and the amount of tabs you use.

But Premiere Pro might be a bit slow, depending on the kind of footage and what codec it uses, but as the Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) seems to work fine with early 2011 MBPs with the 6750M GPU, you might not have problems at all.

Btw, do you mean "1 hour clips" or "1 hour sequences"?

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I don't see that much of a difference between those machines. Video rendering heavily relies on RAM quantity and RAM performance (speed) along with hard drive performance more than anything. I've found that CPU power to have a marginal effect especially for something between the 2 mentioned CPU's. The i7 is a premium CPU but it's not like it's a night and day difference from the previously mentioned i5.

For the purpose for Adobe products, I see nothing wrong with either PC or Mac platforms. 8GB of RAM is a good place to start and I'd definitely go for the fastest RAM speeds supported by each respective machine. As for hard drive performance, well you can swap in pretty much anything you want so again no advantage either way for PC and Mac.

I think you can't go wrong either way, boils down to personal preference more than anything.

5. Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

Hyper-X>> I already have the AlienWare, but it is just too heavy for me when I move around (a lot!).

JT123>> I remember from my old G4 that mac os X was much better than windows with multitasking (basic example would be switching between programs). Even if Windows has made some tremendous changes, I think that MacOS X will always have an advantage.

simsaladimbamba>> Is it hard to upgrade RAM? I mean, you have to open the computer, will it make the guaranty canceled? (If it is easy to put new ram I will be able to do it since I build and upgraded pc in the past)
    I use Adobe Premiere only to work on clips from interviews and product reviews which will only need a few adjustment.

6. simsaladimbamba

Easy.

The MacBook Pro will do just fine with it, maybe also have a look at refurbished Macs: http://store.apple.com/fr/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

7. Thork, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

I can take a loot at refurbished but since they seems to upgrade MBP every once in a year, I 'm not sure taking the previous "version" is good?
    Also I don't want a used battery :)
    Any advice with refurbished MBP?

Edit:

New MBP would be :

15 pouces: 2,2GHz
    Intel Core i7 - 2,2 GHz
    4 Go - 1 333 MHz
    500 Go - 5 400 tr/min1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 512 Mo GDDR5
    Serial ATA - 500 Go - 5 400 tr/min
    1.670,81 €

Maybe refurbished is not the right way to buy for me since I have a student agreement with apple (small reduction) which does not apply with refurbished items.

8. simsaladimbamba

The two early 2011 models on there are just fine, they are quad core, just like the current generation, as the current generation is only a slight upgrade from the early 2011 models, meaning a 200MHz bump and that the basic 15" MBP got a better GPU.
    It won't be used, maybe it has a cycle or three on its back, but nothing more.

MacRumors Guides: Apple Refurbished Store

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:
    Refurbished MBP or New?
    Getting an iMac - New or Refurbished?
    Refurbished vs new
    HELP: Refurbished 17" or New High End 15"?!
    Are Refurbished Macs as high quality their new counterparts?
    Do refurbished fail more often than new MBP's?
    New MPB or refurbished model?

search results by GGJstudios

9. Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

New MBP would be :

15 pouces: 2,2GHz
    Intel Core i7 - 2,2 GHz
    4 Go - 1 333 MHz
    500 Go - 5 400 tr/min1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 512 Mo GDDR5
    Serial ATA - 500 Go - 5 400 tr/min
    1.670,81 €

Maybe refurbished is not the right way to buy for me since I have a student agreement with apple (small reduction) which does not apply with refurbished items.

In fact I just want to make sure that it will run smoothly with a lot of tabs and photoshop running behind and with Mail.
    I like Mac OS X interface and flexibility but I just don't want to change for the worse (of course)

Thanks a lot for your inputs

10. simsaladimbamba

My 2009 MBP can do that, it just is a matter of RAM, not really CPU in your case. You don't need a quad core to browse the BBC or any other website, or to run Mail. Even Photoshop will run on a dual core CPU. For your needs, any current MacBook Pro or any MacBook Pro since 2009/10, is more than fine.

Your wanted model: http://store.apple.com/fr/configure/MD318F/A?select=select&product=MD318F/A
    The same model, just with 250 more GB and 512 MB more GPU RAM: http://store.apple.com/fr/product/FC723F/A

11. Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer. Where do you see that there is 512 mb more GPU ram?

I agree about the other things, with the same price (student reduction) on the new I can have 250gb more disk space on a refurbished:eek:

12. simsaladimbamba

New 15" MBP:
    [​IMG]

Refurb 15" MBP:
    [​IMG]

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

None of the work you mentioned is GPU intensive. Some adobe apps use GPU acceleration but its not GPU dependent enough for you to be able to tell the difference between a better and a lesser model from your end.

The GPU in the new MBP is not as good as the 5850 in your Alienware but the CPU is much, much faster. If you're still looking to play the latest games at the highest settings, the 6770/6750 won't cut it but it should support older games or the newer ones at medium settings quite comfortably.

14. Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, really appreciated ! :)

----------

Thank you very much !

DO you think there is a big difference between 5400 or 7200 for the hard disk? Files will be accessed more rapidly but is it noticeable?

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

If you're dropping 1700 Euros on a laptop, you might as well get an SSD. Laptop HDDs are slow no matter how you dice it.

16. Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

SSD hard disk or external hard drive?

17. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

No problem.

As for the question about the HDD speeds, I had to pick between the two myself earlier this year and I realised that the 750gb 5.4k RPM was faster in most tests than the 500gb 7.2k RPM. The data density makes up for the loss in spindle speed. The higher density drive will be better in sequential access and the faster spinning one will generally have higher random access speeds. It didn't seem to be much of a difference so I just went with the larger capacity drive.

18. simsaladimbamba

19. Thork thread starter macrumors newbie

Meaning that I will have two HD on the laptop?

----------

Thank you for your input :)

20. simsaladimbamba

No.
    When you order the MBP with an SSD from Apple, you will only get an SSD in the MBP.
    But if your order the standard MBP with an HDD (Hard Disk Drive), you can buy an aftermarket SSD* and either replace the internal HDD or optical disk drive (ODD), and with the latter one, you can have an SDD and HDD in the MBP.
    Look at section 4 in that HDD replacing guide I linked to.