MacBook Pro vs. Black MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tbirdbball08, May 31, 2008.

1. tbirdbball08 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've read a lot of threads throughout many different forums regarding this issue, but I've decided I still need to ask this question myself. I will be a freshman in college next year and I'm debating on whether or not to buy the Black Macbook or the Macbook Pro. I have a budget of about 2000 dollars, however i could probably go a little higher if I really felt it was necessary. Anyway, after looking on the mac store through my college I have come to the conclusion that I could get the Black Macbook with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 250GM hard drive, iWork preinstalled, Logic Express 8 preinstalled and the AppleCare 3 year protection plan for 1870 dollars. However, I could also buy a Macbook pro with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 200GB Hard Drive and 2GB ram, along with a preinstalled iWork and Logic Express 8 and the Applecare 3 year warranty for 2146 dollars. Any upgrade in the hard drive or the memory for the Macbook Pro would put the price a little to high for me unless I was advised that it would be worth the extra money. As far as what I indeed to do on my laptop goes... I will be typing documents and making presentations for school, I will be storing a lot of music, I will be recording a lot of music (hence, logic express 8), I will be watching movies and I may be storing and playing with some pictures. One thing that I've heard people say is that Macbook Pro is a lot better for video and picture editing and what not. While even though it is indeed better, does that mean that Macbook downright sucks at doing these things, or Macbook is good and Macbook Pro is just amazing? I'm sorry if that didn't make sense... Anyways, I've really been stressing over this decesion. In reality I probably don't need the Macbook Pro, just knowing that it's only a few hundred dollars away makes it tempting. I don't do a lot of gaming, video or picture editing, but I want my computer to be able to handle it if I do decide to get more invovled in these things. Also, I will be doing a lot of music recording, is there any difference between this two laptops with regard to this area. I can't decide whether to get the Macbook with maxed out upgrades, or the standard low level Macbook Pro? Can someone please give me some insights, because this is something I've been concerned about for a while now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Scott

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well the dedicated graphics will help with the more intensive programs

id reccomend the pro if you have the money..its worth it in the long run

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Get the MacBook Pro - it's a much better machine and will last you longer.

The MacBook is great, but the MBP is a big step up. I've had both...

4. effer macrumors member

Go with the Pro. You'll need the 15.4" screen more than anything. Also, the display is vastly better in quality, IMO. Upgrade the HDD and RAM when you need to, not before.

5. sex--a--peel macrumors newbie

sex--a--peel

go for the macbook

i mean i have an imac which has every thing i need on it. all my data and programs and stuff and it is all linked up to my wireless network so i can acess information that is on it through my network as it is backed up to my 2x TB hard drives. so i just use my macbook if i need to take it to work or if i am watching television or something so i do not have to sit at a desk. i mean a macbook will get you by fine if you ask me get a nice big hard drive and a fair amount of ram and you wont know the difference. the only down side with them is that they are not the most hard wearing, mine has taken a battering and its just over a year old. reason for this is that it gets thrown about alot day to day in my bag and the some on the sides and front plastic has cracked and come off, but i have the apple protection care plan so i am going to send it off soon and get it all replaced. plus it comes in white the traditional colour or a mac in my eyes....hope this helps and more info you need just ask :D:apple::apple::apple:

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There are only two main differences between the two books.

(A) A 13" screen versus a 15" screen
    (B) Dedicated graphics card versus NOT X3100 or something.

If you are running games, then get the MacBook Pro, if not then you'd be fine with Black book if you don't mind the 13" screen.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I just wanted to add my personal experience so you have another opinion, some of this has been said already:

Some 14/15" screens have a lower resolution than my MacBook. What is important is the resolution rather than screen size, which is 1440 x 900 on the Pro vs 1280 x 800 on the MacBook. Quite a jump. The LED backlight is a big advantage as well, as already pointed out.

The MacBook Pro goes up to and with a dedicated graphics card makes it better setup for driving external monitors, which may be an important consideration.

Having mainly used 1024 x 768 for so long, 1280 x 800 was a nice step up, but I am beginning to feel for some applications I would like more space.

But I'm bored of the MacBook Pro case design and think it has gone a bit stale. I much preferred the Ti Books, which were just a bit more interesting. Fortunately it looks like Apple is really getting the industrial design back up to speed with the Air.

So my next computer may well be a Pro.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A MacBook would suit you well. Certainly you could go with the Pro, but you would be getting features that would be widely unused; audio editing won't improve at all with a better graphics card, what really matters there is a lot of RAM and a large hard drive, which would make the Black MacBook better in that respect. The only things you will be missing are the MBP's screen, multitouch, a backlit keyboard, an expresscard 34 slot, firewire 800, and the dedicated graphics card... none of which you would want over the money you'd save by going with a MacBook that would perform better for what you would be using it for. The integrated graphics of the MacBook are really only noticeable with 3D modeling/gaming. As well, the MacBook can run any display except the 30" without a single problem with the correct adapter. I say go for the MacBook and enjoy a machine that will suit your use of it better than an unnecessary higher model.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

For me, the black macbook looks super cool but I don't like the idea of paying the extra tax for the color. That being said, I think there's more value in the macbook pro. If you want to save a bit of money, you could always skip the apple care. Nothing wrong with apple care, but if you're worried about the price, that's something you can cut out and it won't make your computing experience any less good (unless of course the computer breaks, hah).

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

That's 160 pixels wider and 100 pixels taller. It really is not that much, and to prove it, I've produced a couple of images:

[​IMG]
    MacBook Pro display is this much wider than MacBook's.

[​IMG]
    MacBook Pro display is this much taller than MacBook's.

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Away from the numbers, I feel the larger width and height are enough to make a difference when combined. It certainly feels a lot bigger.

I have done an illustration to show the difference. This is scaled down to fit on the page.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

As a college student I can tell you one overlooked thing before you're there, that becomes a major issue as soon as you start attending class is battery life. i could be totally wrong, but I seem to remember the mbp getting around 3:30hrs worth of life vs ~5hrs for the MB. That's a big difference when youre running between classes or not having to search for a plug at 2am in the library. My 6hrs worth of battery on my crappy dell laptop is the only reasn I have any affinity for it at all anymore