Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Dollar for dollar, and in terms of availability, you bet there is.

What I mean by "availability" is that there is a much higher range of CPUs, GPUs, SSDs, hard drives, etc., that simply are not available on the Apple systems. When you do get options from Apple, they tend to be incredibly over priced.

Or the other brands are subsidized.

HP, Dell, and others make deals with Microsoft for bulk licensing. They also put in adware, software trials, and other fluff to subsidize the cost. Adding software, removing it, taking into account that the registry cannot be compacted (especially when MS's file systems of choice fragment files like there's no tomorrow), and other factors...

Not to mention, most of these brands look and feel flimsy due to excessive amounts of plastic glued together. Macs might be low on status LEDs, but look and feel solid. The Mac Pro's interior design beats the snot out of Dell's Xeon-based Precision PCs by far.

Also try contacting the OEM for support. They'll likely say "it's an OS issue and call Microsoft". Microsoft will say "It's an OEM issue, go back to the company that sold the equipment".

There's more going on than just the sticker price. Tie in these other factors and Apple's product aren't as overpriced as some claim them to be.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Or the other brands are subsidized.

HP, Dell, and others make deals with Microsoft for bulk licensing. They also put in adware, software trials, and other fluff to subsidize the cost. Adding software, removing it, taking into account that the registry cannot be compacted (especially when MS's file systems of choice fragment files like there's no tomorrow), and other factors...

Not to mention, most of these brands look and feel flimsy due to excessive amounts of plastic glued together. Macs might be low on status LEDs, but look and feel solid. The Mac Pro's interior design beats the snot out of Dell's Xeon-based Precision PCs by far.

Also try contacting the OEM for support. They'll likely say "it's an OS issue and call Microsoft". Microsoft will say "It's an OEM issue, go back to the company that sold the equipment".

There's more going on than just the sticker price. Tie in these other factors and Apple's product aren't as overpriced as some claim them to be.

I am afraid that in the end we will agree to disagree. There are lots of threads here about the very same topics. Maybe you and I can end the war, but I doubt it.

FWIW, what do I care if it is subsidized or if they can make better volume deals with MS and Intel? It is less money out of my pocket and I all I have to do is remove a couple of AOL apps. :)

You are correct that running Windows (even v7) takes more know how, though I have to say that to really know your Mac means knowing some unix as well...it is not maintenance free.

BTW, in the past I have been stuck with Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc... Now, I use Clevo re-branded laptops, and for desktops I have been using Cyberpower.

My P170HM from Clevo feels very solid, uses brushed aluminum surfaces, and yes, there is some more plastic, but this beast rocks. On the other hand it is huge, which is why I had to buy a MBP 13" for portable work.

I am a victim of technology....the only thing I don't have yet is a tablet, but I feel the urge for that as well. The only failed experiment was the Netbook from Asus. When Chrome OS is available I will get rid of Win XP and make that an Internet toy for my kids.

Regards,
R

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Which sandy bridge is even IN the MBP?

My PC laptop has the 2820QM and it cost a heck of a lot less than any of the high end MBP...

R

yes, the 2820QM is available in the new macbook pros

and all SSD drives, RAM, hard drives, etc. that you claim are so much better for pc's work just fine in macs as well so not really sure what your point is? That macs are more expensive? thanks i think we all already knew that.

fyi, not all upgrades have to be purchased through apple!

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011

and all SSD drives, RAM, hard drives, etc. that you claim are so much better for pc's work just fine in macs as well so not really sure what your point is? That macs are more expensive? thanks i think we all already knew that.

After consulting the Sandy Bridge wiki, you may be right on the 2820QM...but not the 2920... I still wonder why Apple does not list what the processors are.

Money can't be left out of the conversation, nor can video cards.

Either way, I will bow out of this conversation gracefully - I am somewhat outnumbered. :)

R

Last edited:

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
HP is ****ing evil, do NOT NOT NOT NOT ever get any products by them. Ive had 2 HP laptops die within 2 years, they are a total ***** laptop company & you will HIGHLY regret it. Unless you want to deal with terrible support & waste money on a laptop then get it

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
HP Elitebook will easily outperform the MBP 13". It should be on par with the 15", though. If you really want a 13" laptop, then get the Elitebook and hackintosh it. :cool:

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Rhyalus said:

After consulting the Sandy Bridge wiki, you may be right on the 2820QM...but not the 2920... I still wonder why Apple does not list what the processors are.

Money can't be left out of the conversation, nor can video cards.

Either way, I will bow out of this conversation gracefully - I am somewhat outnumbered. :)

R

Umm never said anything about the 2920???

Apple costing more has nothing to do with inferior hardware. Apple has always been more costly than windows whether equipped with better, worse or similar hardware.

I said from the beginning that windows laptops have better available gpus

Nails1

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
Agreed.

And having used Boot Camp in the past, that doesn't cure Win7 of being Win7. NFTS fragmentation, the pukey registry, speed creep over time (boot times post-login getting worse), the inability of Windows to properly manage itself, Win7 SP1 not fixing the problems I've encountered... Microsoft continues to get worse (as if that were possible, but it is).

As much as I like Win7, I have to agree with what you have said. There ARE some UI elements that I prefer in Win7 as opposed to Mac OS, but they are small nitpicky things and I have found a work around for some of it.

I recently decided to buy a Mac because I felt there were less compromises at the amount I paid. If the price wasn't there, I would have definitley made a different choice - Apples are expensive.

Just in case anybody is wondering what I meant by "compromises" - I was concerned with durability before absolute power. I bought a 13" MBP and I love it. Besides it isn't hurting for power! I traded up from a C2D 2ghz from 2 years ago. I do wish it had a bluray drive but I can live without that.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
This is just untrue. My PC laptops BLAST away the performance of the MBP portables in just about ANY category.

...except sleep and wakeup time. (Edit: AND battery life...) :)

R

Pleas, please don't bow out yet! Really, I'm super excited to hear about these PC laptops that blast away the current range of MacBook pros...as I'm an ambidextrious user of both PC and Macs as well as a couple of Linux workstations and server apps

I can't believe you are defending the well known "lameness" of Apple hardware. <sigh>

Ok, I use 3D CAD software to review 3D engineering models, and I use it to calculate 3D radiation dose using a collapsed cone convolution algorithm, and then view it in 3D on CT scan data.

In addition, I sometimes do monte carlo modeling in Excel.

After all that, I play Left 4 Dead. :)

ANYTHING that uses the CPU or GPU will go faster in a PC.

R

(p.s., I love my MBP...I am not an Apple hater)

You are aware CAD runs on Mac now as well, right? And for the past 5 years or so, Bootcamp has allowed multiple Os installs on native Macs, correct? ...also, both my 08 and 09 MacPros 8 core rigs are or were at the time...just as state of the art proc wise as any high end DELL Precision model, could accept as much RAM, and on a Windows boot could accept ANY GpU on the market....just as much RAM, and more HDD Slots, better design, AND, get this....I can also run OsX!!!! Today's SB MBP laptos are damn near as fast in most areas, if not faster in some arenas. You can point to absolutely NO software that will run circles around your current PC laptop vs my new 17" MBP Running Win7 or XP. Period. I've got two brothers...both engineers, one civil...one structural. Both use CAD, both greatly prefer Mac and have for CAD since the Intel procs were introduced, and they could run a Windows VM.
The new round ofMBP and Autodesk's recent offering of AutoCAD strengthens this argument even more. The battery liffe, the support, the fact that all software provided with a Mac is relevant and usable to the standard customer, no virus\malware crap, the resale ( you can't even give away a PC after 2 years...where 5 year old Macs are still fetching 40-60% of their original value on eBay)...Thunderbolt!!!!! Man...I could go on an on...I just hate to see somebody attempt to feed a bunch of Techno algorythm BS out in order to confuse the real question.

Again, I use both...but there is a truth, Macs aren't more expensive. They just don't make cheap computers...all of their lines represent qualitt, depndability, and the ability to run any OS the user chooses...and when you're ready to upgrade z couple years down the road, you can actually sell you Mac to help finance a new rig

My first computer was an Apple IIe, around 1984-5. To a 286, 386, 486, Pentium 150 Comoaq...and all the way up to a Quad core 6600 with Vista Ultimate. Wife wanted a Macbook 5 years ago...and after a month, I couldn't put the darn thing down....fast forward five years and our AV production business is all Macs...including 12 workstations. We just recently got rid of our final PC now that Parallels 6 is so excellent and I will NEVER own another PC as long as I live. They are absolutely NOT worth it after you've owned a Mac period

Dollar for dollar, and in terms of availability, you bet there is.

What I mean by "availability" is that there is a much higher range of CPUs, GPUs, SSDs, hard drives, etc., that simply are not available on the Apple systems. When you do get options from Apple, they tend to be incredibly over priced.

I am not meaning for this to become a bashing thread, one way or the other, but Apple and mainstream PC/laptops fit specific niches. Haters and lovers just don't see that.

R

Again. BS...every SsD and HDd works just fine in any Mac. Usually, Apple concentrates on release some of the top of the line procs available at the current time ( they were darn near first out of the gate with the new SB procs in the MBPs and their initial Xeon and Nahalem Mac Pros as well when they dropped)....GPUs is the only area that has been an issue....but again, the new line of MBP has a sweetheart. 1gig AtI card that's a smoker...and in the expandable Mac Pro...you can tie in any card you want if you're running Windows OS. The 5870 isn't a slouch nor is the nVidia 4000 both of which can run on the Pros under OSX

To the OP...good choice. Non reason any longer to buy a PC. Notice, I didn't say no reason to run Windows:) I find Win to be a fairly excellent OS... I just wish Windows would get up off their are and build a nice piece of computing hardware to go with it...instead of relying on schmucks like Dell and HP to ruin the entire thing. Nothing is worse than the inundatin of crapware one gets on a PC upon first boot. On the flip side, turn a Mac on out of the box and its followed by pleasant surprise after pleasant surprise

My. $02

Last edited:

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I am afraid that in the end we will agree to disagree. There are lots of threads here about the very same topics. Maybe you and I can end the war, but I doubt it.

FWIW, what do I care if it is subsidized or if they can make better volume deals with MS and Intel? It is less money out of my pocket and I all I have to do is remove a couple of AOL apps. :)

(snipped for space reasons)

I am a victim of technology....the only thing I don't have yet is a tablet, but I feel the urge for that as well. The only failed experiment was the Netbook from Asus. When Chrome OS is available I will get rid of Win XP and make that an Internet toy for my kids.

Regards,
R

I will let you have the last word, but before that I still feel a need to respond with a couple final thoughts: There is an old Vulcan proverb; "You can't always change a person's mindset via debating on the internet." Of course, there's the other American proverb or two, "You always get what you pay for" and "The devil is in the details".

But I hope you do know about ChromeOS's security model?

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I will let you have the last word, but before that I still feel a need to respond with a couple final thoughts: There is an old Vulcan proverb; "You can't always change a person's mindset via debating on the internet." Of course, there's the other American proverb or two, "You always get what you pay for" and "The devil is in the details".

But I hope you do know about ChromeOS's security model?

LOL...the problem with debating on the internet is that everyone has different needs, and of course, a different past history.

I have never had problems with windows 7 or failing laptops from Dell, Lenovo or even HP (I currently have a dv7t quad in the kitchen for family access).

Regarding Chrome OS, I will read up. On the other hand, this POS netbook is sitting in a drawer, unused. Maybe it could be used simply as a web browsing tool.

R

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Pleas, please don't bow out yet! Really, I'm super excited to hear about these PC laptops that blast away the current range of MacBook pros...as I'm an ambidextrious user of both PC and Macs as well as a couple of Linux workstations and server apps

OK, for you I will stick around a little longer, but our thread is going to end up like the 50 other threads on the matter.

I have a 17" 1920x1080 laptop with an i7 2820QM, 12GB of RAM, 1TB of RAID 0 7200 HD, and a GTX 470M video card. I do not think any Mac laptop can come within 50 yards of it. It runs super cool and super fast. The only downside is that it weighs eight pounds and the battery life is only about three hours. On the other hand, a true mobile i7 (first gen) would weigh 12.5 pounds and the battery life would be much shorter.

It cost me significantly less than $3,000.

You are aware CAD runs on Mac now as well, right? And for the past 5 years or so, Bootcamp has allowed multiple Os installs on native Macs, correct?

Yes, but with the limited RAM on the Macs, I can't run heavy duty apps, nor would I want to in a virtual machine. Maybe I am a special case as I use medical and physics software.

...also, both my 08 and 09 MacPros 8 core rigs are or were at the time...just as state of the art proc wise as any high end DELL Precision model, could accept as much RAM, and on a Windows boot could accept ANY GpU on the market....just as much RAM, and more HDD Slots, better design, AND, get this....I can also run OsX!!!! Today's SB MBP laptos are damn near as fast in most areas, if not faster in some arenas. You can point to absolutely NO software that will run circles around your current PC laptop vs my new 17" MBP Running Win7 or XP. Period.

Afraid I can, but I am probably a special case. I calculate radiation dose in 3D patient data. Also, I am surprised that your brothers are able to rotate complicated 3D models with the rotten video cards in Macs...

I've got two brothers...both engineers, one civil...one structural. Both use CAD, both greatly prefer Mac and have for CAD since the Intel procs were introduced, and they could run a Windows VM.
The new round ofMBP and Autodesk's recent offering of AutoCAD strengthens this argument even more. The battery liffe, the support, the fact that all software provided with a Mac is relevant and usable to the standard customer, no virus\malware crap, the resale ( you can't even give away a PC after 2 years...where 5 year old Macs are still fetching 40-60% of their original value on eBay)...Thunderbolt!!!!! Man...I could go on an on...I just hate to see somebody attempt to feed a bunch of Techno algorythm BS out in order to confuse the real question.

What is the real question? To me, it is whether or not I am paying the right amount of money for the right performance. Mac laptops are solidly built....I love em. But the limit on the video, and the cost (in time and effort) to upgrade them to specs that make sense (if even possible) make them boutique machines.

Again, I use both...but there is a truth, Macs aren't more expensive.

You lost me there.... I could keep reading but they ARE more expensive and I don't have time to try to recoup 40% of the value to buy my next one...

They just don't make cheap computers...all of their lines represent qualitt, depndability, and the ability to run any OS the user chooses...and when you're ready to upgrade z couple years down the road, you can actually sell you Mac to help finance a new rig

My first computer was an Apple IIe, around 1984-5. To a 286, 386, 486, Pentium 150 Comoaq...and all the way up to a Quad core 6600 with Vista Ultimate. Wife wanted a Macbook 5 years ago...and after a month, I couldn't put the darn thing down....fast forward five years and our AV production business is all Macs...including 12 workstations. We just recently got rid of our final PC now that Parallels 6 is so excellent and I will NEVER own another PC as long as I live. They are absolutely NOT worth it after you've owned a Mac period

Again. BS...every SsD and HDd works just fine in any Mac. Usually, Apple concentrates on release some of the top of the line procs available at the current time ( they were darn near first out of the gate with the new SB procs in the MBPs and their initial Xeon and Nahalem Mac Pros as well when they dropped)....GPUs is the only area that has been an issue....but again, the new line of MBP has a sweetheart. 1gig AtI card that's a smoker...and in the expandable Mac Pro...you can tie in any card you want if you're running Windows OS. The 5870 isn't a slouch nor is the nVidia 4000 both of which can run on the Pros under OSX

To the OP...good choice. Non reason any longer to buy a PC. Notice, I didn't say no reason to run Windows:) I find Win to be a fairly excellent OS... I just wish Windows would get up off their are and build a nice piece of computing hardware to go with it...instead of relying on schmucks like Dell and HP to ruin the entire thing. Nothing is worse than the inundatin of crapware one gets on a PC upon first boot. On the flip side, turn a Mac on out of the box and its followed by pleasant surprise after pleasant surprise

My. $02

I could go and start quoting laptop models, unit by unit, and you know that the Macbooks will be ~20-30% higher.

It is up to the buyer to decide whether they want to spend the additional bucks for the quality of the build (which I do not deny). Also, it is up to the buyer to determine if what they do on a daily basis can be accomplished by the machine that they are choosing.

Each person is different. To me, the MBP 13" is what I always hoped a netbook would be. It is my mobile platform...I run Mac office on it, do email, browse the web and watch videos and movies that I have ripped to the hard drive.

For this, it is the perfect machine.

For tough processing (CPU and GPU), no MBP can ever be my heavy hitter unless I spend $4,000 and the time to manually upgrade it (where possible).

R

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
OK, for you I will stick around a little longer, but our thread is going to end up like the 50 other threads on the matter.

I have a 17" 1920x1080 laptop with an i7 2820QM, 12GB of RAM, 1TB of RAID 0 7200 HD, and a GTX 470M video card. I do not think any Mac laptop can come within 50 yards of it. It runs super cool and super fast. The only downside is that it weighs eight pounds and the battery life is only about three hours. On the other hand, a true mobile i7 (first gen) would weigh 12.5 pounds and the battery life would be much shorter.

17" mbp starts at $2500 and is pretty similarly specd to what you have except for the ram, which can be upgraded through apple or on your own. Also has 8+ hours of battery, weighs much much less, and is in a thinner, more solid package.

Yes, but with the limited RAM on the Macs, I can't run heavy duty apps, nor would I want to in a virtual machine. Maybe I am a special case as I use medical and physics software.
What do you mean by limited ammount of RAM? All macbooks come with 4gb of ram and are upgradable to as much ram as you can afford. You seem to have some weird opinion that RAM, HDD's, and SSD's don't work inside macs for some reason?

What is the real question? To me, it is whether or not I am paying the right amount of money for the right performance. Mac laptops are solidly built....I love em. But the limit on the video, and the cost (in time and effort) to upgrade them to specs that make sense (if even possible) make them boutique machines.

yes, macs cost slightly more most of the time, you are paying a premium for everything that comes with a mac.

Again, i don't know why you think it costs more or takes more time to upgrade a mac? You can use the same hard drives, ram, ssd's, etc and they are just as easy to connect on the mac side as the pc side. Your opinion that macs can't have the same hardware and are expensive to upgrade may have been warranted 10 years ago, but it is simply NOT the case and you need to stop posting BS as facts because you are simply wrong.

You lost me there.... I could keep reading but they ARE more expensive and I don't have time to try to recoup 40% of the value to buy my next one...
if taking 10 minutes to post it on craigslist or ebay or the like to get sometimes a couple thousand dollars back isn't worth your time then why are you complaining about the high price of macs? Obviously it would be worth your time as I'm sure you don't make $1000+ an hour and it would surely take you less than an hour of actual time to sell a freaking mac.

For tough processing (CPU and GPU), no MBP can ever be my heavy hitter unless I spend $4,000 and the time to manually upgrade it (where possible).

R

A 17" macbook pro is $2500 and pretty well spec'd. Please tell me what you would need to $1500 more on to upgrade the mac to "suitable" specs for you?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC725LL/A?mco=MjEyOTY3MjA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148710
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148345
6 lbs, $2800, 7 hour battery. Not bad.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
And there is really no point in upgrading the stock 750gb hdd to a 1tb for $210, you are really paying a premium at that point at almost $1 per extra gigabyte.

Very true, I'd rather buy this. Also, no one really needs 12+GB of RAM, unless they work at freaking Intel or somewhere.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

You are aware CAD runs on Mac now as well, right? And for the past 5 years or so, Bootcamp has allowed multiple Os installs on native Macs, correct? ...also, both my 08 and 09 MacPros 8 core rigs are or were at the time...just as state of the art proc wise as any high end DELL Precision model, could accept as much RAM, and on a Windows boot could accept ANY GpU on the market....just as much RAM, and more HDD Slots, better design, AND, get this....I can also run OsX!!!! Today's SB MBP laptos are damn near as fast in most areas, if not faster in some arenas. You can point to absolutely NO software that will run circles around your current PC laptop vs my new 17" MBP Running Win7 or XP. Period. I've got two brothers...both engineers, one civil...one structural. Both use CAD, both greatly prefer Mac and have for CAD since the Intel procs were introduced, and they could run a Windows VM.

Again, I use both...but there is a truth, Macs aren't more expensive. They just don't make cheap computers...all of their lines represent qualitt, depndability, and the ability to run any OS the user chooses...and when you're ready to upgrade z couple years down the road, you can actually sell you Mac to help finance a new rig

My. $02

Some laptops will have better hardware. 5870 is no slough but it is still far from the best (6990). The ATI 6750 is a good card but it is not the best. Also, your resale value means nothing (if its out of warranty) if you spill coffee on your machine or drop it or... and you can't collect on it.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011

Sorry, I could not get to 1600 MHz, 12 GB of RAM - nor could I get 1TB of 7200 RPM RAID 0 HD...

Also, I could not get anywhere near the power of my video card (GTX 470M)...

Am I missing something? Maxed out on that page, it was 3,000 with 1333 8 GB of RAM and less HD space... (Edit: I see that you tried to get there on the Newegg HD... what is the max RAM that the MBP can take, by the way?)

R

Last edited:

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
17" mbp starts at $2500 and is pretty similarly specd to what you have except for the ram, which can be upgraded through apple or on your own. Also has 8+ hours of battery, weighs much much less, and is in a thinner, more solid package.

What do you mean by limited ammount of RAM? All macbooks come with 4gb of ram and are upgradable to as much ram as you can afford. You seem to have some weird opinion that RAM, HDD's, and SSD's don't work inside macs for some reason?

yes, macs cost slightly more most of the time, you are paying a premium for everything that comes with a mac.

Again, i don't know why you think it costs more or takes more time to upgrade a mac? You can use the same hard drives, ram, ssd's, etc and they are just as easy to connect on the mac side as the pc side. Your opinion that macs can't have the same hardware and are expensive to upgrade may have been warranted 10 years ago, but it is simply NOT the case and you need to stop posting BS as facts because you are simply wrong.

if taking 10 minutes to post it on craigslist or ebay or the like to get sometimes a couple thousand dollars back isn't worth your time then why are you complaining about the high price of macs? Obviously it would be worth your time as I'm sure you don't make $1000+ an hour and it would surely take you less than an hour of actual time to sell a freaking mac.

A 17" macbook pro is $2500 and pretty well spec'd. Please tell me what you would need to $1500 more on to upgrade the mac to "suitable" specs for you?

Burton, stick your attitude back in your pants, ok pal?

As I just posted, I could not get to the equivalent specs in any way on that config page that someone posted for me.

I also do not have the time to play with the selling game on Craig's List or anyplace else just to cut my losses.

I think our discussion is just about done. You may proceed with your beliefs that Apple computers are better in any way, and I will proceed with my beliefs that I need power that can't be obtained on Apple machines for an acceptable price. The new MBP come a lot closer... in terms of almost getting the right level of computation power - that is why I bought one for the first time this year.

R

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Sorry, I could not get to 1600 MHz, 12 GB of RAM - nor could I get 1TB of 7200 RPM RAID 0 HD...

Also, I could not get anywhere near the power of my video card (GTX 470M)...

Am I missing something? Maxed out on that page, it was 3,000 with 1333 8 GB of RAM and less HD space...

R

Like I just said,
1. Do you REALLY, REALLY need 12GB of RAM, or are 4GB of that sitting cold, unused? Also, the fact that you can afford 12GB of RAM for less than $2400 means you have a 4-slot RAM machine, which means it's a huge SOB that weighs at least 12 lbs.
2. That's one thick laptop, if it can fit a 15mm drive. The only 1TB 7200RPM drive out right now are enterprise-class drives, like the Seagate Constellation.2.
3. I lol'd at the sight of your video card; it's only just SLIGHTLY better than the MBP. Come back when you have the GTX 5xx series.

Also, only stupid people pay the Apple tax. Smart people go aftermarket. Hell, for all I know people could be buying refurb MBP's and maxing them out with 3rd party stuff for the total cost of $2500.

Finally, any chance this machine is a Sager?
Edit: Just confirmed Rhyalus's laptop is a Sager, no other laptop brand offers his configuration for the price. Sagers are blocky and ugly. Also, he doesn't have a 1TB RAID 0 drive; he has a 500GB drive and a second 500GB drive with RAID 0. Which means his laptop isn't 12 lbs; it's a backbreaking 14 lbs.

Last edited:

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Like I just said,
1. Do you REALLY, REALLY need 12GB of RAM, or are 4GB of that sitting cold, unused? Also, the fact that you can afford 12GB of RAM for less than $2400 means you have a 4-slot RAM machine, which means it's a huge SOB that weighs at least 12 lbs.
2. That's one thick laptop, if it can fit a 15mm drive. The only 1TB 7200RPM drive out right now are enterprise-class drives, like the Seagate Constellation.2.
3. I lol'd at the sight of your video card; it's only just SLIGHTLY better than the MBP. Come back when you have the GTX 5xx series.

Also, only stupid people pay the Apple tax. Smart people go aftermarket. Hell, for all I know people could be buying refurb MBP's and maxing them out with 3rd party stuff for the total cost of $2500.

Finally, any chance this machine is a Sager?
Edit: Just confirmed Rhyalus's laptop is a Sager, no other laptop brand offers his configuration for the price. Sagers are blocky and ugly. Also, he doesn't have a 1TB RAID 0 drive; he has a 500GB drive and a second 500GB drive with RAID 0. Which means his laptop isn't 12 lbs; it's a backbreaking 14 lbs.

It does not necessarily mean that the laptop has to be huge to have over 8 gigabytes of ram. The new 11 inch alienware laptop (while 4.5 pounds and 1.3 inches think) can hold 16 GB. There are a lot of computers in the six pound range that can take 16 GB of ram.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
It does not necessarily mean that the laptop has to be huge to have over 8 gigabytes of ram. The new 11 inch alienware laptop (while 4.5 pounds and 1.3 inches think) can hold 16 GB. There are a lot of computers in the six pound range that can take 16 GB of ram.

A laptop under the 6 lbs range would not be able to carry either dual hard drives or a 1TB 15mm hard drive setup; it's just too small. Add a second heatsink for the GTX 470 and you got a heat problem; only a 15" and above can barely handle it.
Also, Alienware does not offer a 12GB 1600Mhz option. Sager does, but only in its 17" gigantic 12 lbs laptop.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Burton, stick your attitude back in your pants, ok pal?

As I just posted, I could not get to the equivalent specs in any way on that config page that someone posted for me.

I also do not have the time to play with the selling game on Craig's List or anyplace else just to cut my losses.

I think our discussion is just about done. You may proceed with your beliefs that Apple computers are better in any way, and I will proceed with my beliefs that I need power that can't be obtained on Apple machines for an acceptable price. The new MBP come a lot closer... in terms of almost getting the right level of computation power - that is why I bought one for the first time this year.

R

you are the one with crazy beliefs man... for some reason you think macs can't use the same ram as a pc. Just because you can't select 12gb of ram straight from apple doesn't mean you can't do it. You can put 16gb of ram in the macbook pro if you want, in fact there are multiple threads on here documenting people who have done exactly that... but i guess according to you, it's not possible:rolleyes::confused:

like i said not every upgrade has to be purchased from apple... you can get a 7200rpm 1tb hdd and put it inside the macbook if you feel so inclined to do so, but you seem to believe that just because apple doesn't let you bto a mac with that exact hdd that it isn't possible. once again you fail. once you realize that components are cross compatible maybe you will stop being so naive.

I never once said that macs are better, simply that they can be configured to be the same as your "ohhh so powerful" pc's, in every category except for graphics cards.

and like i said before if you don't have 20 minutes to list something on ebay and ship it 5 days later when the auction ends then stop bitching about the prices... if money isn't important enough to you to get money back on your investments for future computers then obviously you have enough money that you shouldnt be so worried about the price of a mbp right?

go somewhere else if you just want to troll with useless "facts" because pretty much nothing you have said in this thread is true.

-edit-

so i see you are trying to compare with a specific gaming laptop... just configured a sager notebook with the high end i7 processor, 12gb of ram, 1tb in raid 0, the 470m, and windows ultimate. total price, $2,869.00... put the same 2820 i7 processor in there (same as high end mbp) and the price is still $2,349.00. So $150 difference in price for better graphics and 4gb of ram.... but you lose the battery life, portability, weight, construction, warranty, backlit keys, etc. that all come with a mac. Doesn't seem to me that the mac is soooo much more expensive for less powerful hardware that you claim but whatever i guess you live in imaginationland.

Cirus-

i don't think he was saying it's impossible for a laptop to have that much ram but it's much cheaper if you have more slots for ram because you can buy 4 - 4gb sticks for a total of 16gb of ram as opposed to machines like the macbook pro which only have 2 slots therefore requiring that you buy 2 - 8gb sticks which are much more expensive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.