MacBook Pro VS iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleTecFan, Aug 14, 2013.

?

MacBook or iMac

1. iMac

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. MacBook Pro

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I currently have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro(with specs listed below) and a offer has arised. I have been offered a trade for a 2011 27" iMac

With the following specs Core i7, AMD 6970M w/ 2GB GDDR5, 1GB HD.

My MacBook is almost always stationary and I almost never take it out, I mainly game in Windows; would this trade be worth it?

Another question is there any heating issues with iMacs? the main issue is when I use my MacBook it becomes very hot during extended gaming sessions

2. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Do you want a MacBook Pro on a stick or a MacBook Pro??

4. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

that didnt make sense

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

:D The iMac uses a lot of laptop spec parts. So many view it as a glorified laptop. Thus a Macbook Pro on a stand, or stick ;)

6. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Ahhh I understand, but are the specifications are a lot better than the MacBook correct? enough though its sandy bridge

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

The current ones are Ivy Bridge. iMacs used to be glorified desktops. But now they are a hybrid. It's my understanding that the processors are desktop ones but low voltage variants. I also believe the RAM is notebook RAM.

But the iMacs are fast. MacBook Pros are fast too. You can look up benchmarks but I think the iMacs have an edge. You'd be happy with either when it comes to speed.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

One is a desktop, the other a notebook. If you must compare, the best approach would be to share what your usage will be. In lieu of that, it's just a waste of time.

9. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Currently, like I said its extended gaming sessions where my MacBook gets pretty hot to the touch (weather could be a factor)

10. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

The iMac uses some low voltage and some normal processors.

The BTO 3.4 i7 27in uses the 2600 processor where the 2.8 i7 uses the 2600s low voltage variant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)

I have the 2011 3.4 i7 and love it.

Ask this question.

Can you live comfortably without portability?

Yes- Get the iMac
    No- keep the laptop

11. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

I voted iMac but I would only do that if you were that into gaming.

12. zipur macrumors 6502

what type of screen are you using now. If not a 27 incher then that should play into your choice. The beauty of having a MBP IS you can take it to work, travel, school, parks, church, couch, bed, kitchen, Orbit so a portable device is needed. But in your case you sit there for hours and hours, night after night day in and day out playing games. So you would love the 27 inch screen plus you could add more memory and keep it current. Therefore do the deal!

13. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Not surprisingly, the OP's similar poll on the iMac forum yields somewhat different results than this poll.

14. AppleTecFan, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

It is a 15" MacBoob Pro and I also use the Benq Offical MLG Monitor for RTS 24" (RL2450HT). I use the Benq monitor to game, with a CM Quickfire TK and a RAT 7 mouse. I barely actually use the trackpad or the keyboard on the MacBook, I am really on the edge I really want the iMac but I am losing the portability. The times I would take out the MacBook is when I would go for gaming events, I would be losing that ability once I get the iMac. To add I am also currently a student and I do have an iPad (is that enough to carry me through school)

[​IMG]

15. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Dude if you're in school using your laptop for it, shouldn't you be the one to tell us if it is enough or not?

I mean I'd say it's worth it just for the 1GB hard drive :D

16. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

iMac's are great if you don't really need to have all of your work with you. And since you said that your MBP stays pretty much in the same spot, it's a pretty good trade. But you won't have that ability to take your computer if you travel (even though you said you have an iPad, that may not be enough if you wanted to play some games on a vacation.)

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Take the iMac. But replace the HDD with a bigger one.

18. Saltymac macrumors member

iMac would be the best choice for your gaming needs. My MBP gets very hot using it for simple games in short bursts.

19. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Its 1TB not 1GB LOL. its more than I need

20. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Well, with what youve said in this thread, i feel that you game pretty heavily, and you said that you rarely take your laptop away from the desk except for gaming events.

How often do you actually take notes with your mac in class?

and how many times do you go to gaming events?

If its a rather low count. i would actually go for the iMac for your needs.

But in the end, there really isnt a right choice for you, just make the choice that you make the right one.:)