Macbook Pro vs iMac

redchef82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Im not sure which way to go.

I currently have an outdated (2006) iMac which is running a bit slow but very functional. I don't do much on it except internet, email and Microsoft word/excel.

I do consulting and do need a laptop from time to time but only very basic functionality, basically writing reports from my hotel. However, I should mention that I hate the layout of basically all laptop keyboards and mousepads. But will suffer through it when I have to and just use my own mouse.

So I'm not sure which route to go.

Get a Mac Book Pro and buy a monitor to use as a docking station or buy an iMac and a cheap PC laptop that will allow me to do my reports the few times a year that I will need it.

I'm just worried and feel that the MBP is not as durable as the iMac and I don't want to spend $1500 on something I will need to replace in a few years. In that case I can buy the iMac which will be more powerful and hopefully last longer and get a cheaper PC laptop.

Thoughts?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Have you thought about using the iPad for the Consulting and the light reports making thing that you have mentioned about ? use a External Keyboard and you are done ! And buy a iMac !

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
How powerful would depend on which models you are looking at. i5 vs i7, etc

I thjnk durability is about the same especially if your going to use it in clam shell mode and it sits on your desk 90% of the time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just get a nice external monitor and base model MacBook Air.

You should be able to do all the things you said.

If you want to play games or something, buy a gaming PC instead.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Get the MBP, a good monitor, keyboard and mouse. While at home you'll have the best of both worlds and then when you're mobile you have a product that gets the job done as well.

If you get a wireless mouse (and even keyboard) you can take that with you easily if you wish to use those instead of the laptop touchpad and keyboard.

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
For your needs. Get a macbook air (with 8 GB RAM and you're good for the next 5 years) and cheap external display.