Macbook Pro vs iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redchef82, Feb 27, 2014.

1. redchef82 macrumors newbie

Im not sure which way to go.

I currently have an outdated (2006) iMac which is running a bit slow but very functional. I don't do much on it except internet, email and Microsoft word/excel.

I do consulting and do need a laptop from time to time but only very basic functionality, basically writing reports from my hotel. However, I should mention that I hate the layout of basically all laptop keyboards and mousepads. But will suffer through it when I have to and just use my own mouse.

So I'm not sure which route to go.

Get a Mac Book Pro and buy a monitor to use as a docking station or buy an iMac and a cheap PC laptop that will allow me to do my reports the few times a year that I will need it.

I'm just worried and feel that the MBP is not as durable as the iMac and I don't want to spend $1500 on something I will need to replace in a few years. In that case I can buy the iMac which will be more powerful and hopefully last longer and get a cheaper PC laptop.

Thoughts?

2. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Have you thought about using the iPad for the Consulting and the light reports making thing that you have mentioned about ? use a External Keyboard and you are done ! And buy a iMac !

3. NukeIT macrumors regular

How powerful would depend on which models you are looking at. i5 vs i7, etc

I thjnk durability is about the same especially if your going to use it in clam shell mode and it sits on your desk 90% of the time.

4. leman macrumors 604

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just get a nice external monitor and base model MacBook Air.

You should be able to do all the things you said.

If you want to play games or something, buy a gaming PC instead.

6. gomatt macrumors member

I just posed a thread on this board about that. See "review: macbook pro 13" retina...." by gomatt.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1711624

Get the pro 13", and a 27" asus pro art ips screen. It is AWESOME and you dont have to use 2 computers, which really sucks, files here, settings there. A mess.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the MBP, a good monitor, keyboard and mouse. While at home you'll have the best of both worlds and then when you're mobile you have a product that gets the job done as well.

If you get a wireless mouse (and even keyboard) you can take that with you easily if you wish to use those instead of the laptop touchpad and keyboard.

8. Vandefilm macrumors regular

For your needs. Get a macbook air (with 8 GB RAM and you're good for the next 5 years) and cheap external display.