MacBook Pro vs. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by D4rkShaDoWz, Dec 11, 2007.

1. D4rkShaDoWz macrumors member

Hi!

I am very new to Mac's and wanted to buy one for the holidays. The only problem is that I have no clue which one I want. I am starting to get very interested in video editing (nothing "big" as I am a teen) and was intrigued by a iMac (24 inch). Since I am used to a laptop, I'd want to get a MacBook Pro (15.4 inch). I will be working with Final Cut Studio. My major problem is the lack of upgrading in laptops. I heard that upgrading a iMac is possible. Here are my questions:

1. Which one would you buy?
    2. How is the performance in a MacBook Pro? (Running intense programs or games)
    3. Which one is best for me?

Thanks for answering!!

**NOTE : I lean towards the laptop side more because I like being portable.

2. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

I would go for the 24" iMac unless you absolutely need portability. The real estate of the bigger monitor will be a huge benefit for video editing.

Maybe get the 24" iMac and then later on buy a used/refurbished MacBook? Thats worth considering...

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The iMac is actually less upgradable than the MBP. The only thing you can upgrade inside of the iMac is RAM. I have heard that it is very highly discouraged from upgrading the hard drive in the iMac.

The MBP on the other hand, you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive. There is much debate over whether upgrading the HD on the MBP will void the warranty or not, but it is not too difficult to do so. That being said, Apple does not consider this a "user-replaceable" item.

Externally, both can be upgraded the same...

It is really a question of your portability needs and wants. A 24" screen would be sweet if you have the room (and need) for it.

4. Nakamura macrumors newbie

I would go for the MacBook Pro because of portability, its allways nice to take your computer with you or to take it out of your bedroom and into the living room.

5. D4rkShaDoWz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reponses! My question now is this :

What is the graphics card difference between the iMac and the MBP?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They are both basically the same machine, the difference in performance is basically the GPU.

http://www.barefeats.com/imacal.html

7. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Actually, this interests me.

Which has the faster card?

It appears to be the Alu iMac 2.4 over the MacBook Pro 2.4?

Am I right?

I'm interested in upgrading my PowerBook G4 (which I use to edit video for myself and clients) to either a MBP, iMac 20" or go the extra mile and get the Mac Pro. I do plan on playing strategy games under Windows.

8. D4rkShaDoWz thread starter macrumors member

This is really bugging me. Does anyone have another benchmark source comparing the iMac to a MBP?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some games one works better than the other ... but neither will be an intense gaming platform due to both basically being Centrino-based platforms (with a few non Intel chips tossed in) and both running mobile GPUs.

Both generally are as as easy to upgrade, aka not very easy. Though the iMac uses a desktop drive, so that allows more space there.

For the pro apps that are GPU bound, you'll definitely want to look at a minimum of 256mb vram if you plan of keeping it for a couple pro app software update cycles.

For learning the apps, either machine should be fine.

For playing games, looking at the Centrino notebook shootouts for each mobile GPU should give a hint. Since the games you'd play most likely will be running in windows.