Macbook Pro vs. iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DancingChicken, Oct 28, 2009.

1. DancingChicken macrumors newbie

I'll cut right to the chase: I'm a filmmaker/graphic designer/motion graphics artist looking for advice on which new Mac to buy.
    Right now I'm trying to decide between the high end 15" Macbook Pro and the new 27" iMac. (Quad core) I've been using a bottom-line 20" inch iMac for about 2 years. It's done the job but slowly.
    I don't travel a lot but when I have, I've missed my computer dearly. The way I see it the Macbook Pro is less powerful, but has the huge advantage of being portable. The quad-core iMac is a lot more powerful, but is tethered with a power cord.

So I turn to you, MacRumors Forum, to help with my dilemma.

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

Do you need the power while you travel? Or do you just miss having a computer? The speed of the quad core iMac outweighs the occasional mobility advantage of the MBP, I think...

You can get the big iMac, and a $300 netbook. There is even a Dell model that's fully compatible with OSX if you like...

3. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well I do many of the same things as you. I have both. Solves that problem. Got a real good deal on the iMac and just a couple of weeks ago I went for the 17" MBP 2.8 with anti-glare screen. Couldn't be more happy with the MBP. It works great. Since I am on the road much of the time, I needed portability and power. Now I can write my stories, edit AVCHD media files, all while on the go.

4. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I can understand where you are coming from because I did miss having a laptop. My previous Mac was a desktop but I now have a laptop again. It seems like I use the portability more than you do though. If you use your computer mostly at your desk and don't need to have your computer on the road most of the time then you will get more for your money and performance with the iMac. So you have to ask yourself if portability is a necessity or a convenience. If it is a convenience are you willing to take the trade off in performance?

The other option if you can afford it is to have both. That's an expensive option though. If you get a new iMac first will last longer so it will give you time to save up for a MacBook Pro. You sound like a person who needs a lot of performance from your computers so a desktop will almost always give you the better option. A laptop is a compromise in performance for the trade off in portability. If there is any way you can test out a high end MacBook Pro then you can know for sure if it will meet your needs. My MBP is powerful enough to meet my needs so I don't really miss a desktop much and I find that I need the laptop portability more than I realize.