Macbook Pro vs iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jokemjokester, Jul 9, 2010.

1. jokemjokester macrumors member

jokemjokester

Sorry if this been answered but I can't seem to find a thread to answer my question. I'm pretty much in the market to buy either a macbook pro or imac. I understand that portability is a big factor (I don't really care since I my wife's pro which I could use) when choosing one over the other. I'm more interested in the iMac since i'm worried about the battery dying on me and i'd have to buy another one. I do use the computer and keep it on for more than 8 to 10+ hours everyday. My question is if i were to connect the macbook pro to an external monitor and keep it plugged to the power, will that deplete my battery's charge?

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Nope, shouldn't.

3. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

MBP vs IMAC

I have a 21.5 Imac and a 13 MBP. Love them both. Mine stays on about the same as yours. I gave my 15 MBP to my son because I could live without it since I got the 21.5. Wrong. Was in Vegas last week and walked by the Apple Store in Caesars and bought the 13. I am in heaven again. Can't do without either.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd get the iMac. You get better specs for the same amount of money. I reckon if you get a MBP it'd end up being a desk-bound machine. And thats a waste of money, when you could have got a cheaper iMac with a bigger screen and better specs for the same price.

Only get a laptop if you want to use it on your lap (or take it somewhere everyday).

5. jokemjokester thread starter macrumors member

jokemjokester

that's what I was thinking. I just wanted to know if I were to get a mbp with lcd and use it as a desktop almost all of the time, I was gonna be worried about the battery charge depleting faster but I the dude that posted said it shouldn't. I'm probably gonna go with the iMac though since I think is the better bang for my buck.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You stated that you don't care about portability. That to me makes an iMac a very obvious choice.

7. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

You, I believe, have made the correct choice. By the time you purchase an MBP, minidisplay adapter, and the LCD screen you could have had a much faster and nicer iMac for the money! Plus iMac, now that they come standard with a wireless mouse and keyboard, are very simple with no extra cords saving you desktop space and it will look better! I suggest the entry level 27" iMac with an upgraded 8gb of ram. It is going to run you 1899 without tax. A fair price and a very nice screen that you can easily stare at all day!