MacBook Pro vs Mac Mini

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ConnorTurnbull, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I've got funds ready to wave at the Apple Store for iPad 2. However, I am also in need for my first Mac.

Now, here's the thing: if the iPad 2 is due for a UK release prior to mid-April, i'll go and buy one of them and then probably a Mac Mini in April.

Alternatively, if it's after mid-April, i'll be buying a Mac. I'm not quite sure I want an iMac as of yet since I would only be able to get a 21.5" and would rather have something I can just hook a larger monitor to (MacBook/Mac Mini).

My question is, do you reckon the MacBook Pro 2011 is a more powerful and valued product than the 2010 Mac Mini?

Cheers.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends what you want. If you already got monitor and stuff, then Mini might be enough and you will save hundreds. If you don't have any peripherals, just get a MBP as the total cost would end up being around the same. MBP is more powerful though.

3. smetvid macrumors 6502

You might want to wait and see how the mac mini is going to be updated. I expect it to match the base 13" mbp just like the previous generations did.

4. 63dot, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

^^^^

What those people said.

I also had monitor (old Apple one and one of their earlier LCDs, DVI connector) and I got a Mac mini, and then later on, another one. Those minis are great.

I also love my Mac and PC laptops but found I actually never go out that much, so I found the mini to get the job done. If I find myself having to be mobile, then entry level MBP is a great choice.

5. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

To make your decision even more difficult, the new Mac Mini is rumored to be released soon. Maybe VERY soon.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Don't you think they will have similar stats, or at least both good enough as a first Mac for OP? And probably Core i3s, Sandy Bridge with 4 gigs of RAM.

7. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

I would need to buy a monitor pushing up the cost to about 125%.

If it's more powerful, I might opt for the MacBook Pro.

Anyone know about which one has better graphics?

8. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

The only value I see in a mac mini is the cost assuming that you will buy a monitor for both the MBP and the mac mini. If you are fine with the MBP and no monitor the Mini is useless. If you have the funds to do MBP and monitor the Mini is even more useless:)

9. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

I can only opt for a either an iPad 2 or Mac (this month, will get the other in April). Therefore, since I can't get iPad 2 + Mac Mini, I assume the MBP is a good choice.

Are the 13-inch Intel HD graphics better than the Mac Mini's shared NVIDIA graphics? I assume the Intel ones are also shared and that 4GB vs 2GB of overall RAM will mean the MBP is better?

10. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

what are you wanting to do with the computer that you are wondering about graphics? I would not call either machine a gaming unit so I get lost on where any difference between the two would come in in terms of graphics.

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Yep.
    I too think this is what`ll happen.
    My C2D is fine in it`s role as a HTPC tho. but I wouldn`t want it to be my main machine, my MBP smokes it.

12. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Do you require your computer to be portable? As in, do you need to take it places, often?

That is, and always should be, the main decision point of getting a laptop: portability

-----

I have a Mid-2010 Mac Mini. I also have CTO'd a base 15" with a hi-res display. I am aware that in terms of CPU and memory performance, it will eat the Mini's lunch. I expect a GeekBench to be about 2.5x higher than the Minis. I also expect the 6490m to best it in graphics performance by a relatively good margin, though the laptop is not intended for playing any games on.

However I'm not replacing my Mini, which is hooked up to a 27" LED Cinema Display. The MBP I'm buying is to replace my 7 pound ThinkPad work foisted upon me. When I do replace my Mini, it'll be with a refreshed 27" iMac -- either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. And I will thoroughly enjoy my dual 27" LED-backlit displays in its 5120x1440 glory, and at least 16GB of memory (hoping 32GB is an option come Ivy Bridge).

If you have a display you don't want to replace, and aren't taking it anywhere, a Mini is fine for day to day. I do database and middleware server app development on mine, mostly in virtualized environments (.NET and SQL Server). With 8GB of memory, a Momentus XT, and another drive hanging off of FireWire 800 it's just fine, including occasional games of Magicka, Left 4 Dead 2, TF2 and Minecraft.

However, if you've been considering a new display, and the computer doesn't need to go anywhere get a quad-core 27" iMac. They will not disappoint.

13. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll go with the MacBook Pro. I don't need it to be portable, but having that option is always nice if I want to work around the house or in a different place.

Thanks for all your help!

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Enjoy the Macbook Pro.

You will love it. Let us know later how you like it and how it fills your needs and meets (or doesn't) your expectations. This input will also help others on the fence about which Mac to purchase.

Pre-recession, many of us would have said to get the MBP and the Mac mini. ;)

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

They are going to HAVE to update the mini, and do it VERY soon.

Obviously.

The present mini is pathetic at this point unless you get a good deal on it.
    But new, it's a rip-off next to the i7s, with the new ports.

16. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Agreed. I want a Mac Mini so I can easily hook it up to my TV and maybe take it over friends' houses to hook it up to their TVs.

If I don't watch movies on computers, don't play games, but DO edit short video clips and fool around with music occasionally, will the Mac Mini be sufficient?