MacBook Pro Vs MacBook 2.4GHz (Both Unibody)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Feb 15, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

I got a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz for the backlit kb, screen quality and resolution. However, I am not sure if I can justify its price at $2000+. I bought it and still can return it for a full refund. If I get the MacBook 2.4GHz also with a backlit kb, I save $400. I do not need a firewire port or the express slot of the macbook pro. However, the screen and resolution is great on the MacBook Pro, which are features I'll miss.

What would you do? I am basically using this notebook at home at the moment for online assignments and general browsing.

Which do you guys prefer?

2. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Sounds like you bought more computer than you need. Get the MacBook, pocket the extra money.

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

If you don't need firewire or the express slot, then you've already answered your question. Also to take into consideration is the fact that the Macbook Pro has a discrete GPU, vs an integrated GPU. If you aren't going to be doing any gaming, then there goes another point to go Macbook.

Another thing you'll be losing is the better screen quality of the 15-inch. I've seen both side by side, and I'll tell you, it's a rather significant drop in quality. Viewing angles are sucky on the Macbook, even with the upgraded LED.

If you're only going to be doing general browsing and using it for school assignments, then you won't need a Macbook Pro. The Macbook Pro is for people who want to use it for on the go Pro apps, hence the "Pro" moniker attached to it. If for whatever reason, you're going to be something of the sort (like graphic design, video production, etc), then you might want to hang onto the Macbook Pro. Otherwise, go Macbook.

4. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I do use Dreamweaver though from Adobe CS4. While doing my assignments, I really enjoyed the luxury of the screen resolution as well. Those features will be missed.

Hows the screen quality on the new MacBook unibodies? I know the viewing angle is horrible

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I was deciding between a 2.4 MB and 2.4 MBPro and went with the Pro because I never know when I will be in the need of the better performance of the Pro.
    And actually you're not going to save 400$ because if you already took it out of the box (which I guess you have) you have to pay 10% restocking fee, which is around 200$ (don't know bout your taxes).

6. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I am returning to futureshop in Canada they have no restocking fee and I am going to exchange it for the macbook

7. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I bought a MacBook with the 24" LED, and to me, it's the best of both worlds. The screen on the MacBook is fine. When I was little, I would agonize over whether to buy a Snickers or a Mars bar. It drove my mom crazy. In the end, they're both delicious. It's the same thing with the MacBooks. You'll love whichever one you get.

8. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

Just got back from the local store. After seeing the macbook unibody's screen quality, I decided to keep my MBP. It will serve me for years to come, I hope and I won't have to do another upgrade till a few years.

9. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

10. dL. macrumors 6502

I would rather get the 2.0 $1399 MB over the 2.4 $1749 MB. The extra $350 only gets you a backlit keyboard, 90GB bigger storage and 0.4GHz speed increase. Personally, I don't think that is worth $350, especially for your needs. For the $350 you can buy an AppleCare and an external hard drive.

The advantage of 2.4 MBP $2149 would be the bigger and BETTER display, and better graphics. If you would like to play games on your potential purchase, then this might be the better choice.

So my 2 cents: 2.0 MB or 2.4 MBP.

dL

11. samleung macrumors newbie

I went from a Macbook Pro (latest one before the Unibody) to a Macbook. The alu macbooks are definitely great to use, and going from the 15.4 inch to 13.3 is easier than you think. The added portability is a godsend.

//edit. I used the extra money I "saved" from not getting a MBP into getting a 500gb which I installed myself.

12. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

interesting
    which macbook did u go with?

13. samleung macrumors newbie

The 2.4 one. Granted, I had cash to spend. My MBP was damaged in an accident, and I got the full value of it back, so I debated for a long time on what to get. In the end, the smaller form factor and power really won me over. The new Pro's are heavier and wider than the one I had, so as a college student, the smaller ones made more sense. Never really liked the plastic whites.

14. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same position, trying to decide between the 13" 2.4GHz MB and the 15" 2.4GHz MBP. I'm a student, so I do the common music, word processing, presentation-making, surfing, etc things that you do. Not really any video editing, I do do some graphics editing though, but nothing hardcore, and my gaming is limited to games like Sims, Spore, etc, not WoW/Call of Duty/all those. I'll list you the pros and cons I have for both
    MB Pros:
    -more portable
    -cheaper
    -can upgrade to 4GB RAM to give it some extra oomph
    -probably a longer battery life
    MB Cons:
    -screen resolution isn't as good
    -screen is smaller
    -lack of speakers is seems like

MBP Pros:
    -bigger screen, better resolution
    -RAM can go up to 6GB
    -exterior speakers
    -larger workspace
    MBP Cons:
    -heavier, less portable
    -more expensive
    -i'm not sure I need the extra graphics card

I'm probably going to go with the MBP base. I like the extra screen space, and will enjoy it after college. I only have a 10-15min walk, max, to go onto campus, and I like to work on my bed/couch/kitchen and so an external monitor isn't really an answer to the small screen of the MB. But, my main reason for the MBP is just that: the screen. With how thin it is, portability isn't a huge issue, IMO. But that's just me, and I'm still flip-flopping.

15. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I went with the MBP myself mainly for the screen resolution. It really does increase productivity.

16. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

BTW the MacBook Pro makes a great gaming machine too but I have no intentions I just tried Left for Dead in Bootcamp and it rocks everything on high