MacBook Pro vs MacBook Air, does it really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shitpost4gold, Dec 19, 2016.

?

Which one should I purchase?

1. MacBook Pro with Retina display - 13.3" Display - 8GB Memory - 128GB Flash Storage - Silver - $1149

2. MacBook Air® - 13.3" Display - 8GB Memory - 128GB Flash Storage - Silver - $874

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. shitpost4gold macrumors newbie

I'm looking at purchasing either a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air for my wife.

Uses : Running a small business from home. Tracking emails, using adobe photoshop for small designs, hooking up a printer & label maker to process orders to ship off, etc.

Choices

• Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - 13.3" Display - 8GB Memory - 128GB Flash Storage - Silver - $1149.99

• Apple - MacBook Air® (Latest Model) - 13.3" Display - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 128GB Flash Storage - Silver - $874.99
    Now both laptops have the same CPU, size of RAM, and storage. However, the Macbook Pro does have a retina screen and IRIS gpu.

Which one do I purchase? Does the extra $300 really make a difference for the Pro label and Retina screen, or am I overlooking something?

Thank you.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're going to use Photoshop then yeah, I'd get a MacBook Pro.

If you're only going to use email and print labels, a MacBook Air should work fine.

I suspect your actual usage will end up falling somewhere in between.

3. nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

I use photoshop on my 2013 MBA just fine. Take that 300 and invest in elsewhere!

4. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

The processor in the MB Air is a dual-core and the one in the MB Pro is a quad-core. So the processors are not the same. If you would like to make comparisons download a free app called Mactracker. It will give you the speeds of the processors and information on all macs past and present.

That being said - for what she wants to do either will be fine. One caveat - if she does a lot of Photoshop work with large files she will see some drag on the MB Air. I have a 2013 MB Air with an i5 and I do the occasional Photoshopping on it. It isn't bad but if I have a lot to do or a large file I will go to either my MB Pro.

Lisa

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I prefer the retina screens. I went from a 15" MBP (2011) to a 12" rMB the newer SSD stuff just simply flies and the screen is much more readable, unless you compare side by side, can't tell the difference. Performance is a tricky thing, but I'd always go with a newer machine all things being about equal.

6. jerwin macrumors 68000

If my google-fu is correct, you're interested in two models, both from Early 2015:
    MMGF2LL/A, better known as the Early 2015 Macbook.
    This has a 1.6 Ghz i5 (5250U)
    MF839LL/A, better known as the MacBookPro 13 inch, Early 2015.
    This has a 2.7 GHz Core i5 (5257U).

The higher clocked processor is, under geekbench, about 15-20 percent faster.

Honestly, I'd go for the one with the retina screen. Text looks clearer.

7. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

If the OP is going with the stock processors, then they are both dual-core.

But again, the MBA should be sufficient to handle what you are doing.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Just because sometimes, someone needs to tell you what you're missing out on. Get the retina screen. The MBA display is horrible but then again you don't know what you're missing when you're not on it. If money is tight, then absolutely, save every dollar you can. If it's not, the screen is worth it.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Unless weight is an issue, the retina screen would be my choice.

Especially if you're going to do any designing.

10. Dexter4 macrumors newbie

I'd go for the Retina Screen since in the long run you would regret the horrible TF display. Also the weight difference of 300g is negligible compared to the screen gain. The rMBP would definitely be blessing in disguise for your aforementioned photoshop needs. As some one who moved from a 2010 MBP 13 the retina is such a joy to work with.

11. davybe macrumors newbie

Lisa, the 13 inches MacBook Pros are Dual Core, not Quad Core.

12. NicolasQ macrumors newbie

NicolasQ

In terms of performances MBA should be sufficient for your tasks but I think it's impossible to ignore its bad display. I'd get MBP.

BTW are you sure that 128gb are enough?