Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikemakin50, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mikemakin50 macrumors newbie

Hello All

Im currently running a 24" iMac that i got in June last year. It is an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 2Gb of memory (in the process of upgrading to 2Gb) and a 500Gb hard drive. I love my mac but hate that i cant take it with me when chilling with friends and going on trips. This leads me to my problem. On the 28th of this month i shall be walking to my local apple store to purchase a portable Mac.

My problem is this, do I get myself a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air?

My firiend one of the discontinued UniBody MacBooks and it is a beautiful machine, runs well and theys no limitations on what the machine can do next to my iMac (apart from the 13.3 inch screen which after having 24 inch's on my iMac i could never use as my only computer). I know i would be more than happy with this machine. However, there is something about the MacBook Air. For what i want to use it for, which will be browsing, emailing, and watching the odd movie or two, i feel that for an extra couple of hundred pounds i could have something really special.

Ive watched a ton of reviews and there really is a lot conflicting information out there. You guys on here really know your stuff, id love to hear your opinions (especially any MacBook Air owners using the 2009 2.13Ghz model).

Thanks in Advance for the advice

Mikey

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

The macbook air is great now, however once Rev D comes along it will be a complete beast of a machine. If you can wait till it comes out, buy it . If you cannot wait then get the macbook pro now

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd go with the MacBook Pro and use the money for other purposes. I just think that unless you are constantly traveling the Air is not really worth it, but then again I do not mind the extra weight because I have gotten used to the 17"

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I have the Rev A air, and it works like a charm. Fast enough for some programming, movies, email, web, and runs Snow Leopard like a CHARM. I suggest you save money on the air by getting a refurb, they are ~$1000 for a refurb Air with a 1 year warranty and all that fun stuff.

If you like the looks of the Air, get one. Its light, sleek, and runs great.

5. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

In terms of cost im off setting a little of the extra by taking the free iPod and selling it on.

Slight newb question, Rev A and Rev D? Is the revision A and D? If so when would you expect to see a new revision?

The weight issue the one im not sure on, ive never had a laptop to carry around with me, ive always used desktops.

The looks, well, i dont think anyone can argue with them :p

6. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Rev a was first Rev B second Rev C is the current one Rev D will be the next release and it will be awesome i plan on selling my macbook pro its to much and i dont use all of its power aka OVERKILL

7. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what im thinking of the MacBook Pro, too much, im not gonna use it. I really think id be happier with an Air for is portability

Do you think id have problems with an Air?

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Ah its obvious your crystal ball is working, glad to know you already know the specs of a future device :rolleyes:

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Macbook Pro is much closer to the performance specs of your iMac than the Air will ever be. I think the Air is a piece of junk, honestly.

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I think you are wrong, honestly. As someone who actually OWNS one (along with a MBP), I can tell you it is incredibly powerful, boots OS X in about 45 seconds from a non SSD drive, handles every task I throw at it just fine (word processing, programming using XCode, web browsing), and has great battery life. Oh, and its very easy to carry around to classes, work, on trips, etc. Its a beautiful, sturdy machine and it is plenty powerful. For $1000 (refurb) its more than worth the price.

11. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

just out of interest what are the weight differences between the MBA and 13" MBP?

12. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

well its gonna cost £1200 for the 2.13 model with my student discount, call its £1100 after i get the rebate for the ipod. id rather spend a little extra and get it new

i think im gonna go with the air :)

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can you watch movies on DVD with just your Macbook Air? How about plug in a cat-5 ethernet cable? Any computer made in the last 5 years or so can handle the tasks you throw at it just fine. The Macbook Pro is easy to carry around, is sturdy, will last longer, and doesn't require other machines with an optical media drive.

14. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

The DVD issue doesn't bother me. All my media is digital however I want a laptop that will last me. Is that gonna be an issue with the air?

15. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

The only 2 reason to get the AIR over the 13" MBP is:

1. Portability means everything to you and 1.5 pounds makes the world of difference.

2. You just want to have a cooler looking notebook :p The MBP is an amazing looking machine but the AIR has a little extra wow to it when you pick it up.

I say go with your gut and buy the machine you really want or you will have buyers remorse.

16. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

"I say go with your gut and buy the machine you really want or you will have buyers remorse"

MacBook Air!

17. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i say save your money and get a netbook, as it seems your just going to be using it to browse the internet and do basic computing, $400 and it can come with built in wireless card

18. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

you see that thinking does spring to mind and its that thats making me think that i should just get a MacBook Pro, but its a bit of a luxury purchase no matter what i get so im thinking i mite as well spend the extra and get the air.

Is there any common problems with the Air in terms of performance, over heating etc?

If I do get the air id be getting the 2.13Ghz model, would snow leopard give more performance??

19. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

At the end of the day you need to decide what you want to do on the computer. One thing it is worth considering is buying from the Apple refurbished store. Stock updates daily and its best to get online early to puck up the bargains. At the moment the following are in stock:

- MacBook Air 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD £1149
    - MacBook Air 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Disk £1099
    - MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD £1029

I picked up a 2.53GHz 13" MacBook Pro for £999 last Wednesday and am very happy with it.

Check out the stock here. Refurbished machines are also eligible for the £7.99 Snow Leopard upgrade.

20. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

the price's there are around the same as new stock from the education store so theres not major incentive to get a refirb

I just need reassurance that if i get the Air, ill have the same hassle free experience ive had with my iMac!

21. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Optical drive? If this wasn't 2009, I would say you have a point. But who watches DVD media on a laptop now days? I never use the optical drive in my Macbook Pro, 99.99% of my content is digitally delivered. And Cat5? Again, this is 2009, thats not an issue 99.99999% of the time. And for that 0.00001% where I do need Cat5, I have the USB dongle in my laptop bag.

Clearly you are behind the trends a bit if you are dependent on Cat5 and optical media.

Yeah, ignore this guy. Netbooks offer nothing but a horrible user experience. Get a decently powered system (vs crap Intel Atom), with 802.11n, a FULL sized keyboard, large multi-touch trackpad, iSight, and OS X. Its well worth the price over the horrible user experience known as the netbook.

22. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

To the OP. You said that you would use the notebook to watch the occasional film. If you me over iTunes the MBA would be fine. If you meant by DVD get the Pro.

23. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

you all make really good points and i think i have settled for the Air.

i think for what im gonna use it for it will be fine and plus look amazing at the same time, i think i was really looking for anyone to give some major reasons NOT to buy one and from what i read on here, no one can give me any major issues, i mean, all you guys seem happy with your MacBook Air's dont you???

24. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I love mine. Every system has potential for issues, but thats why god invented warranties.

25. mikemakin50 thread starter macrumors newbie

very good point, applecare is a must!!!

ive had such an amazing experience with my mac and iphone, im growing more confident the same would be with my MacBook Air, excited about the SSD, itll be a first for me :)