Macbook Pro vs Macbook + Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shmutheprophet, Jul 23, 2008.

1. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

I have two choices for college. I want to know which one you guys think is better.

Choice #1:
    Macbook Pro
    2.4ghz / 2GB/ 200GB / 8600M 256MB base model

Choice #2:
    Macbook Mid-Line White 2.4 / 2GB / 160GB / onboard-graphics

+

Desktop:
    Intel E7200 Dual Core @ 4.0ghz (overclocked)
    4GB of Crucial ballistix RAM
    500GB HDD Western Digital SATA-II 7200RPM
    nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB @ 763/1200 (overclocked)
    1200W NZXT Precise Power Supply
    Xion II Case

Which one is better? I want to be able to game. I also want to take notes during class.

Thanks.

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I would go with the MacBook + Desktop and then use MobileMe to sync your contacts, mail, and your calendars. Not to mention you'd have iDisk to upload files regardless of which computer you're on.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You should be fine either way. The MBP isn't *that* heavy considering what's in it. I've had heavier notebooks before, not to mention heavier textbooks.

As far as gaming, the MBP can do that fine. I ran World of Warcraft on my year-old machine with a slower CPU and GPU without much of a problem (that wasn't related to 9 billion people being in **** at the same time). You can buy XP or Vista and use either Boot Camp or Parallels/VMware to run Windows games. Use your saved money on buying both (assuming there is some) and get a nice 24" LCD that can run at 1920x1200. You'll also save desk space this way.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would do this...better choice

Keep your Desktop because that thing is a beast!! Dont buy a MacBook...buy a refurb MBP. You could easily get one for less than $1400. Apple sells the 2.2GHz refurb pretty cheap sometimes. Or, you could find a new one on eBay. Search around a bit...I am sure you will find one.

6. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will look out for that. I am trying not to spend more than $1,100ish on the laptop if I end up keeping my desktop.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Well...I dont know if you could get a more recent MBP for $1,100. You could probably get an older Core Duo for that price. If you dont want to spend more than $1,100 than I would just get a new MacBook.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you already have that desktop, just get a MacBook. If you're a student, you can get about a 10% discount. Get one with a SuperDrive and the fastest CPU you can. Jam all the RAM you can in it at a later date b/c Apple's pre-installed RAM is ridiculously expensive for how easy it is to upgrade later.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah I second buying a MacBook now. You can get your free printer and iTouch (after rebate) and 10% off. I really try to avoid buying from Apple though...get slammed with sales tax and top dollar price.

10. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. So basically it looks like you guys think it would be better to have a regular mid-line macbook (2.4ghz/2gb/160gb) + that desktop for college, instead of just one macbook pro.

Now for the macbook. Should I use my education discount for $1,199 for the mid range, or should I buy a refurbished mid range for $1,099. The thing is, I won't be needing to use the iPod deal, since I already have a touch, and I already have an Office Jet printer. What do you guys think?

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'll be a dissenter then. :)

I believe that either solution would be good, but a MBP will be more convenient since you can carry all your files with you.

MobileMe will provide a nice way to sync and share files. However, there are times you may want to do work when you are not in WiFi range.

Currently you can upgrade a MBP with a 500GB HD via a third party option. This makes it even more easy to carry your files with you.

Also, personally, I prefer the MBP over the MB for the following reasons:
    - Matte screen
    - Keyboard
    - Graphics card
    - Built in connectors
    - Bigger display

Anyhow, good luck with your selection.

12. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

how can I get a 500GB HDD?

13. Specter539 macrumors newbie

i had the same dilemma and got a macbook pro. I figured the limited space in dorms wasnt worth the extra computer. plus its just easier for me to isolate all my files into one setup if im always on the go.

14. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You would have to install it yourself, Apple only offers up to 320GB 4200RPM (YIKES!). I get the 250GB and get an external HD.

15. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Stop and think about it for a second. Get the 1199 student laptop, get the ipod, get the 100$ printer (all free BTW), and sell the ipod and printer for at least 300$ combined.

Voila, 899$ Brand new MB.

Good luck with your choice.

16. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, I mean I can not afford to spend that much up front though :p.

17. Yixian macrumors 65816

Going from a GeForce 9800GTX to whatever poultry GPU offering Apple flicks into the new MacBook Pros is going to be a hard come down if you want to game.

18. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think I am going to keep the Desktop and get a macbook.

19. DaveF macrumors 6502a

What's your major? Do you currently take notes on a laptop?

From your gaming computer, it looks like you're an avid gamer and don't mind building your own systems. If so, you'll probably be happier with a dedicated Windows gaming computer and a Macbook on the side for general purpose use.

I'm using a MBP for modest gaming in BootCamp / WinXP. I recently finished the Orange Box and am currently playing BioShock. Obviously, I'm not cutting edge, or even current. But it works for a casual gamer.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

hm.......

Based on dorm sizes I was used to seeing I would say go for a MBP laptop with an external monitor. Not only will it take up less space while giving you the same screen real estate (or more if you run extended desktop) but you will not have a huge tangle of wires that the desktop will give you, and you can take your mbp with you to class and type notes.

21. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thats pretty much dead on. I enjoy playing the newest games, and I love building my own computers. So I think it would be cool to have my desktop to tinker with, mess with, upgrade, downgrade, overclock, underclock, whatever - and then have a Mid-range white macbook for school and taking notes in class. I'm planning on getting a 22" monitor with 1680x1050, so It would be hard to game on that with a 8600GT. Reason I'm getting that is, right now I have a 19" ViewSonic E90fb CRT, and I think it will be really hard to fit a CRT in a dorm room - though I haven't seen the size yet (orientation is in 6 days).

22. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Oh also for my major. Totally undecided right now. Though it might be:

Criminology / Criminal Justice
    Pre-Law
    Pre-Med
    Engineering
    Music

MAYBE computer science

this is all rough though, I will talk more to a guidance counselor in 6 days.

Also in terms of uploading files w/iDisk. I already own a website w/Unlimited webspace (like 2TB or something), so I can upload my files to the FTP on that and access easily from both computers.

23. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

turn that beast into a hackintosh, buy a mb, be happy :)

24. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

For sure :), I'm also thinking about upgrading the 9800GTX to a 9800 GX2, get some 9800 SLi on one card action :p

nVidia has been dropping their prices like crazy to compete with ATi's new cards, I found the GX2 for $319, new.

25. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

nice, so that's your plan (to turn it into a hackintosh (if it isn't already))? sweet