Macbook Pro vs Macbook Durability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kubricks, Mar 15, 2008.

1. kubricks macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some feedback from Macbook Pro users. I purchased a first gen Macbook and while I loved it, I experienced probably the entire range of hardware issues known including:

Discoloration of keyboard panel (replaced)
    Sticky trackpad button (fixed)
    Keyboard keys coming loose
    Crack/break in top panel near magnet latch (replaced)
    Crack in side panel
    Fraying of power supply connection at magnetic end (replaced)
    Optical drive scratching discs (replaced)
    HDD crash (I know this can happen to anyone/anytime)

I took care of the notebook and was never rough with it. These issues happened just from general use.

Have the Pro users experienced this kind of thing or is the Pro generally considered as having better build quality?

I am in the market for a new laptop that will serve as a DAW (music production/recording etc) and am wondering if I should go for the Pro over another Macbook based on build quality.

Thanks.

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I've had my MacBook Pro since January and I haven't had a problem with it really. Just be careful not to drop it as I've heard that these machines dent easily, and keep it clean with a microfiber cloth and everything should go well. The only reason my MacBook Pro got a scratch on it was because I accidentally rested it on top of a 3.5mm plug for my speakers when the power was out the other night, but I fixed that with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (the regular one, not the DUO or Extra Power ones).

3. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I've had my Pro for 19 months now, no issues, some minor scratches on the bottom, but thats from me putting it on uneven surfaces from time to time.

4. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I think you just got a really crappy laptop last time. Both the MB and MBP seem to be built very well.

5. mikeleeuk macrumors member

This is something I've been wondering about over the last couple of days. The new SR MacBook I got for Christmas just developed the case cracking issue, and it's got plenty of others already.

From the list on the Mac Defects wiki:

- Poor Display Quality
    - Sharp Edges
    - Improperly Sealed Case
    - Misaligned Case
    - Hard Drive "Thud", or "Click"
    - iSight webcam interfering with the Microphone

I'm now thinking of saving up for a MacBook Pro; my tutors have those at college and I've always thought they look a lot sturdier and better-built than the MacBook.

Is this actually true? Which issues am I likely to encounter with a MBP?

Also, how long am I likely to be without my MacBook if I send it to be repaired? There isn't an Apple Store nearby so that would be the only way to go, but it's my main computer and I use it for college work so I can't afford to be without it for very long (on the other hand, I can't afford for it to fall to pieces which seems likely the way this case is going! :p)

6. asmallchild macrumors regular

I had a similar question myself.

I know the MB would be more than adequate for my needs.

But I'm concerned with the white MB's discoloration rumors and I'm concerned with the black MB's ability to pick up greases.

I'm thinking of just paying the premium for a MBP to avoid all these issues so long as the MBP isn't known for having any aesthetic issues like the ones I just mentioned in the MB.

Is the MBP prone to discoloration as well? Grease acquisition? Or any new unique problems that I haven't listed?

Thanks

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

The palm rest area of the MBP turns "black" after a while (>1year)

You could google MBP defects and see the entire list

8. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

It only turns black because of the aluminum "pitting", which doesn't happen frequently -- it depends on the pH level of the oil in your skin.

9. dimonay macrumors member

Well as for MBP durability...

I just dropped mine, I was on my bed using it and fell asleep only to find myself waking up to a loud thud!

Still looks brand new.

Yay aluminum!

10. kubricks thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Seems build quality may be better overall just from the metal vs plastic build. A bit of a premium but the extra goodies might be worth it. :)

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

replacing top cases in macbooks are not uncommon. I literally see one come in ever so often for replacement (from cracking, chipping, or staining).

The 2nd Gen macbook pro (purchased in Oct 06) i had was opened for the first time today when we replaced the LCD for dark spots. No problems with the case at all.