macbook pro vs. macbook for graphics/web design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

ok, what do you think?

i'm considering a macbook or a macbook pro for graphics/web design work. i'll hook whichever i get into a 23" ACD. if i get a black macbook, the processor and hard drive are equal/better than the base macbook pro. i don't do any gaming, so i can't see how the gpu will matter much.

what do you guys think? would a macbook suit my needs fine?

2. tip macrumors 6502

tip

With the ACD, keep in mind these resolutions:

MacBook: up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display (millions of colors)
    MacBook Pro: up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display (millions of colors)

3. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

so the macbook would work fine with the 23" acd... i don't plan on getting a larger monitor anytime soon.

4. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Not sure if RAM is THAT important in graphics/ web design, but keep in mind the MBPs have dedicated RAM in the graphics chipsets. The MB has to share the comp RAM to render graphics.

If graphics is necessary for everything web design, etc, I would consider MBP. But wait for the updated ones to release soon, since they are predicted to debut the last Tuesday of February.

5. Designer1 macrumors member

I am a web design student. I upgraded to an MBP because I felt that color rendition was much better on a matte screen. I also noticed that my Macbook would get rather hot when doing intense work with the Adobe Suite. I had to turn my fans on maximum all the time. The MBP runs a lot cooler and is faster.

That being said, if price is an issue you will probably be fine with a Macbook for now.

Just my 2 cents....

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would recommend a MBP just based on a dedicated graphics card (I have hated cheapo/integrated graphics in the past), but for your purposes check this out:

http://www.macworld.com/article/61016/2007/11/macbookcore2duo.html

I would also point out that you don't necessarily need an Apple Cinema Display. There are plenty of good monitors that you can get for a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I've had this ViewSonic 20" montior for about 2 years now with no problems.

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007