Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Transfer Speeds...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dodgeman, May 19, 2018.

1. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

Question I have read the pro uses the thunderbolt port which I thought I read transfers at 40gbps?
    (Correct me if I am wrong?)

I have read I think the MacBook uses a standard transfer of 5gbps.

Big difference but in real world scenarios does have it been a huge hinderance for anyone?

I prefer the MacBooks size and might be transferring date in the future, and I might also be backing up iPhones to the laptop which would be a heck of a lot faster on the MacBook vs. the pro.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2018 ---
    And I am guessing the transfer speeds will boil down to minutes vs. seconds.

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The thunderbolt 3 speeds rely on both devices having that port and capability. In the example you gave of the iPhone, those will be usb 2 (maybe usb 3 now not positive) speeds regardless of which device. iPhone doesn’t support thunderbolt either way so you won’t get 40.

However if you get a thunderbolt 3 SSD drive, it’ll be blinding fast on the MacBook pros.

3. treekram macrumors 68000

The current MBP has USB-C ports with a maximum transfer rate of 40Gbps when communicating with a Thunderbolt device.

The current MacBook has a single USB-C port with a maximum rate of 5Gbps when using USB 3.1 Gen 1. The MacBook does not have Thunderbolt support. When it is used for Displayport, the throughput is higher, but that's only meant for displays.

Current iPhones won't transfer data any faster on the MBP than the MB in terms of the port differences since the transfer speed to the iPhone isn't very fast.

The only way you can take advantage of the higher speed of the MBP is if you have an expensive Thunderbolt device. Thunderbolt external drives which are under, say, $500, which support Thunderbolt and USB3 will run at pretty much the same speed on either computer.