MacBook Pro vs. MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ILJ, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ILJ macrumors newbie

I've had a MacBook for the past 1.5 years and loved it. It was the 2.4 ghz, 250GB black one. Well, our apartment got broken into and it is now gone. I'm going to get a new one today for my wife and I to use.

It seems like the $999 MacBook is better than the low level MacBook Pro. In order to get any sort of upgrade from the MacBook (other than screen size, which I'm not huge on), I'd have to spend about $1800 for a MacBook Pro. Does that sound right?

What do you all recommend? I used to be "up" on the best computers for apple when I was in the market, but clearly have been out of it for a while and need to catch up quick. Need a home computer badly.

2. thabends macrumors member

Do you need firewwire? I got the MBP in my sig for much less than $1800 from the Apple store.

3. ILJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I hate to admit it, but I don't even know what that is, haha.

4. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

The MacBook is not better than the MacBook Pro.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

The Macbook Pro has a Firewire 800 port. That's used for connecting hard drives, digital video cameras (I guess), and various other equipment. If you have none of that, then no worries. Also, the Macbook Pro has an SD Card slot. If you use a digital camera with an SD card memory type, then that could be beneficial.

Also, the metal probably feels nicer than the plastic.

Hope that helps :).

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If you have no need for a better screen, backlit keyboard, firewire 800, sd cards (everyone has them), and a super sexy aluminum unibody then get the marshmallow, I mean the MacBook. Extra $200 is well worth it IMO, for the MBP.

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Well, advantages with the 13" MBP over the 13" MB:

- Aluminium (Does not scratch as easily)
    - Backlit keyboard
    - Better screen
    - SD-card reader
    - Firewire
    - IR reciever (can use the remote)
    - Can use 8 GB of ram (the white one only does 4 GB according to Apple)
    - Also the processor seems to be of a newer model.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Firewire may not be needed now but as a way to upgrade/expand your machine its excellent.

Think for the future as much as now.

9. a350 macrumors regular

13" macbook pro has illuminated keyboard
    an external battery meter
    firewire port
    sd card reader
    aluminum body
    separate audio in, audio out ports
    weighs 2oz less
    slightly smaller

10. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

i noticed mostly 13" mbp owners insist on this

funny

11. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

i think it's hilarious how threatened 13" mbp owners feel by the new macbook

rarely before have i seen a group of people feel such a collective need to justify a piece of hardware

keep doing what you're doing, you players

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Well, it is correct. The MB is not better then the MBP.

What we should discuss though is which give more value per dollar, and that is highly individual. That's why I only state the advantages the MBP have. If someone feels those extras are not worth the extra money, then the MB is a better choice for that person :)

I would pick the MBP only because I had the white plastic MacBook before they started doing the aluminium MacBooks, and I think the aluminium ones are alot better :)

13. islandcode macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro and I just got my wife a MacBook on her birthday. Her machine is just a bit underpowered than my machine. I don't know about the newer MBP's but my MBP's superdrive just died and it's battery doesn't last long on a full charge. I get to borrow my wife's MacBook when I need to watch DVD discs on the lappy and I noticed her Macbook's battery lasts really long, 3.5 hours per charge.

14. ILJ thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a great list, thank you.

Our HD digital camcorder and digital cameras were taken, so right now I don't need that part of it, but I guess there's the possibility we will get them further in the future.

I'm just struggling with whether it's worth almost double the price to significantly upgrade in those areas. The low level MBP has the same processor and actually less HD space than the $999 MacBook.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

16. waynechriss macrumors regular

With the same RAM and better hard drive, you can't go wrong with the macbook but in terms of aesthetics and durability, i like the Pro better. Plus it sports up to 8GB of RAM as opposed to the 4GB of the Macbook.

But yeah, with the Macbook upgraded its an even harder decision between the two.

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Double price? Isn't the entry level 13 MBP $1199?

18. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

well it's definitely not worse either, depending on what you're looking for

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well for 200 more you're not getting a lot of features, but I do like the screen and unibody design over the white plastic one. That's a personal preference and is it worth paying more money - only you can say.

20. ILJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea but that has 90 less GB of hard drive space. I'm talking about a MBP with the same processor and HD.

21. a350 macrumors regular

$1249 is the price of the mbp with the same hd, ram and cpu as the macbook

1249-999=250

250 not the same as 999

22. a350 macrumors regular

another thing to consider since we are grasping at every penny we can

student discount on the macbook is $50
    student discount on 13" mbp is $100

so the difference with student or educator discount between the macbook and the mbp with the same hdd, ram and cpu is $195

so one would have to ask is $195 a good price to pay for the added features the mbp has.

23. waynechriss macrumors regular

With that money you can double the RAM on the Macbook and get an even bigger internal hard drive and a flashlight so you can get the illusion of a backlit keyboard.

24. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The same processor and HD = $1249 for the MBP. So $249 more.

25. ILJ thread starter macrumors newbie

True. I guess it might make most sense to spend the extra $250, as I'm sure it will pay off in the long run.