Macbook Pro vs... other options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvryDayImShufln, Feb 27, 2008.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hi

As I'm sure many of you are at the moment, I feel the upgrades, while needed by apple to remain competitive, were not amazing, and still keep the MBP at a relatively high price. I keep switching and upgrading my mac, because I can (and because I get them at very good prices and can usually sell them after 6 months for what I paid or more). Right now though, I'm trying to decide what some of my options are. I've built several computers from other manufacturers (I'm not trying to insult anybody and I'm not looking for conflicts, I only want to try and put things into perspective and get your input on this).

My first option is the Base Macbook Pro.
    It has:
    2.4ghz 3MB cache penryn processor
    2 gigs of ram
    200 gig hard drive
    8600GT 256MB
    built in cam and bluetooth
    n wireless
    LED backlight screen (a huge bonus over most PC manufaturers)
    For simplicity's sake, I'll put the prices in Canadian:
    I can get this MBP for 1900$ tax in. Retail is 2100$ + 13.5% tax normally for comparison.

----------

Another option is the ThinkPad T61 15 inch
    I've configured a model to have a 15 inch screen
    2.4ghz 3MB cache penryn processor
    2 gigs of ram
    250 gig hard drive (since they didnt have a 200 option at 5400rpm)
    bluetooth
    n wireless
    WXGA screen (not as high res as MBP, nor is it LED backlight)
    Some crappy nvidia workstation graphics card (edit: turns out this card is actually quite good, probably close to as good as the 8600)
    Total price after huge lenovo discounts:
    1105 + 13.5% tax = 1254$

----------

Now I dont want to piss anybody off over here, so please lets not start some big war of mac vs PC. I used to use a PC but for the past 2 years I've been using a mac almost exclusively and I'm very happy with it. However, its hard to ignore that this thinkpad will save me about 650$ for a couple of tradeoffs such as a graphics card and a backlight keyboard. OS X is the biggest thing I would miss with the thinkpad (short of using pearPC or any of that crap), but nobody can tell me the hardware of the thinkpad in terms of build quality is lacking, as in my opinion they are top notch.

Am I missing something here? Anybody have any other suggestions to get some decent prices on MBPs or on any other comparable models?

2. saman88 macrumors newbie

I just purchased the MBP as my first MAC machine after having been a "PC fan" for years.

My two cents: Having used this baby for a couple of weeks, I can honestly tell you that OSX alone is worth the price diff... but that's just me and I am sure a lot of people will disagree.

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

A lot of people will disagree, but I'm not one of them.

Spec-for-spec, the MacBook Pro is not competitive on price, period. The design is great and the tactile experience generally superior, but it's the OS that makes the machine what it is.

Without OS X, a MacBook Pro wouldn't even be worth half what they charge.

4. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Its honestly an incredibly hard decision for me. I don't want vista. But do I want to pay 650$ for OS X? ARGHH!!! If the new MBPs redesigned were out (as they probably will be in june) this would be a lot easier. I just cant help feeling jipped if I go ahead and buy one.

Running OS X on the thinkpad, after a little research, does not seem like too much of a good idea (as expected lol).

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Be sure to check dealigg to get the current Lenovo coupons; you can save a couple hundred dollars with them in a flash. Personally, I'd either go with a refurbished MBP or a Thinkpad with XP or Ubuntu.

6. laprej macrumors regular

Why are you comparing the MBP vs. the MB?

I'm just wondering why you're choosing the MBP as opposed to the MB? Selecting the MB would make it cheaper, and really, as far as I can tell, the major difference between the two is the dedicated graphics vs. the onboard Intel video. As that apparently is not a deal-breaker for you, maybe you should try and compare that ThinkPad to a MB. I realize there are a few other differences, but when I was purchasing a laptop, I was really looking for some dedicated graphics hardware. And honestly, if you need a 15" screen but would prefer not to pay an MBP price, well, unfortunately you fall in between the cracks in the Apple product line.

7. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Unfortunately I need a 15 inch screen. I tried 13.3, it was too small. I use my laptop as my only computer, at home and on the go. A bigger Macbook would be perfect, but oh well.

I've narrowed the price down:
    if I were to buy the Macbook pro I would pay 1900$
    If I were to buy the thinkpad I would pay 1440$
    The different is 460$ for OS X... for 200$ I'd go for OS X, for closer to a half thousand I'm undecided...
    XP is ok, but lets face it, its outdated. I mean it does the job, but I think at this point I'd even give vista a shot instead of XP. That is, if OS X were ruled out.