macbook pro vs retina pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maclover12, Jul 1, 2012.

1. maclover12 macrumors newbie

I am a high school student and was wondering if a the retina is more than I need. So should I just get the macbook pro without retina?

2. leenak macrumors 68020

What do you plan to do with it? For most high school students, a macbook pro would be more than they need.

3. simsaladimbamba

As of now, only YOU know what you need.
    If you want proper support in helping you finding a decision on what model to buy, you have to tell us your computational needs.

If not, go with what you can afford.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

For high school the MBA is more than enough to meet your needs.

5. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Pretty much this. Even for college students, unless you can think of a reason you need more processing power, you probably don't need it.

6. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry didnt think about that I plan to word/pages safari and probably run windows on it to and little bits of gaming

7. P0stalTek, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Flash games or Diablo 3? It makes a difference. The Air can handle most things to be honest, very well even, but I found real gaming to be a bit of a warm proposition (with settings on pretty low).

They are both great machines, but I bought my Pro specifically because I started doing some real gaming again and needed the extra power.

EDIT: That being said, the MBA comes with an SSD, as does the rMBP, and once you go SSD, you will want nothing else.

8. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Macbro17 macrumors newbie

If you upgrade the regular Mbp to be comparable to the specs of the rmbp the regular actually cost more. The only real diff is that you have more space on the Mbp as opposed to the rmbp, however, the rmbp being all SSD is a lot faster, plus you get retina which is stunning I just ordered rmbp baseline with ram upgraded to 16gb.

10. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

It boggles my mind why some people would jump to the conclusion just because someone is young or in high school, they would need a less powerful Mac. Kids these days need a ton of GPU power. They know the ins and outs of gaming more than old geezers. And no, please don't start with the old: If you game, don't buy a Mac BS. Just help the kid out.

So I'd go with the advise: Buy what you can afford. For a student, sometimes money can be tight so the affordable cMBP is wise and just do 3rd party upgrades of RAM, SSD and Optibay whenever your resources can handle sometime down the road. If you can afford the MBPR, go for it. Heck, if you're a rich kid, go for the 512gb. Windows 7 partitions and game saves eat a lot of space. Now if you don't game much, go Air. You don't need to drag around a heavy backpack will all those books. And the new Ivy Bridge Air is powerful enough for a lot of regular work loads for a cheaper OSX experience.

11. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

12. zerotiu macrumors regular

13. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

A Macbook or any Apple product is a high end computing device with premium features. It's very hard to quantify one's purchasing decision as being "need" based rather than just "want" based.

The best bet is to buy the most expensive machine you can reasonably afford. I don't mean take out a loan to buy a laptop, I mean if you have $2600 allocated for the purchase of a laptop you should probably just spend that much.

14. WardC, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

When I was in the 8th grade I had a PowerMac 9500/120 and a PowerBook 5300cs...

I say, go for it all, if you can....

And by the way, don't listen to these folks trying to tell you what your "needs" are -- I wanted something that could handle graphics and video, that would future-proof me, I kept that machine from 1995-1999 before I upgraded to a PowerMac G3. The PowerMac 9500 was also a great machine for the Internet and I used it with a cable modem in 1997 (yes), even running a server off that machine.

My PowerBook was top-of-the-line too at the time, I later upgraded the panel to an active-matrix display -- It was very capable at the time and handled Internet and AppleWorks as well as some basic games. Of course, this was before super-3D gaming and Flash video/YouTube even existed.

But, I say, if you (or your parents) will let you, get what machine you want. The best way to look at it, is whatever you get -- you are "future-proofing" yourself and getting a machine that will last you for a few years and still be capable in 2015.

15. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I get the one with 2.3 do you think it will be capable for 2015 are would you just get the 2.6?

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

I guess you missed the part where he asked exactly that.

You would't notice a difference between the processors.

17. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I would be ok with the base???