Macbook Pro vs. Ultra-Portable Expected in Jan.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WannaBMW3, Dec 5, 2007.

1. WannaBMW3 macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

I just wanna know the features that will be incorporated in the new macbooks...
    I just canceled my order for my first ever mac (MBP 2.6ghz 4gb ram 200gb 7200 rpm HD)...thanks!

2. twerk macrumors member

dunno any new features

should have just stuck with the one you had

3. powerchord macrumors member

Yeah, you and everyone else on this forum!!! We ALL want to know, but who's to say?? Unless someone has some "inside scoop" then all we can do, as we have been doing all along, is hope and speculate, prognosticate and commiserate ;)

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Whatever the specs are on the so called ultra portable, they won't be better than that 2.6 you just canceled.

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Whichever you go with, the current MBP or future thinbook, buy your RAM from a third party like crucial. It will cost you about $100 to upgrade to 4GB RAM rather than the $700 Apple charges.

-Ado

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

2.1 GHz Penryn
    128MB GeForce
    2GB RAM
    4.5 lbs
    $1799 - $1899

7. WannaBMW3 thread starter macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

For Sure

Thanks guys...I actually going to re-order through a buddy of mine for the educational discount, plus i did get my ram already through a third party, macsales (samsung)...I might even splurg and get the new one in jan!

8. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

No one knows, no one, not even God, except of course Steve.

9. 3mph macrumors newbie

Are you telling me you ordered the 4 Gig's RAM @ apple?

10. WannaBMW3 thread starter macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

No way...apple is ridiculous when it comes to ram...i got it through macsales.com

11. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Apple are silly charging so much for Ram, it would surely be more profitable if they went a few dollars pricier than Crucial, then people would pay the extra just to save the hassle,

as it is, only really silly people get it from apple.

as for the thread... wait! the macbook pro has been arround for almost 2 years, with the only external change being the iSight LED!! that is as minor as it gets!

12. WannaBMW3 thread starter macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

Yeah they are!

I already ordered the MBP as described...I'm sure it will make me very happy :)

13. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

My advice if you cancelled, just wait until after MacWorld to see what's released and then make your decision after that.

14. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I'm trying to understand the "no Hard drive" part of the announcement. If it's all flash memory, how many Gb could it possibly be? I'm looking to replace my 12" PowerBook with a new Intel machine so I can use iMovie '08. I need this to work with Hi Def video (AVCHD Format) on the road. Having such a small, light laptop would be great, but I do need at least 60-100 GB of "hard drive" space. How much flash memory could this thing realistically have?

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

32GB standard.. possibly upgradable to 64GB.

Sounds like you want a Macbook.

16. 0sX Le0p4rD macrumors member

Yeah, it's better to wait at this point. Can't wait for Macworld!

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd like to upgrade my iBook, but I know it would be better to wait until January, because if there's a new computer, people will start selling their MBs at reduced prices in order to buy whatever Apple tells them they "must have", while Apple will update the refurbished line with the computers they're currently selling on the main page. So yeah, waiting would be better. But the "now" factor is always tempting. One day at a time, I guess.

18. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I heard it's going to run Windows Vista by default and it will have a design flaw that electrocutes you at random times. But don't take my word for it, I haven't actually seen one yet.

19. WannaBMW3 thread starter macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

Yeah I'm sure everyone at this point will wait but I couldn't. I wish I could post some pics of my two laptops that are shi**ing on me...my own (dell inspiron 9100), was a beast and power consumer (only able to get 1.5 hours)...the ram slots went bad and its pretty old (p4 with ht), plus it weighed 12 pounds (ouch)...and now I'm using my roommates who has an even older one (dell inspiron 1100-look it up to see how old it is.) celeron processor (256 megs of DDR not DDR2 but DDR), its so slow and now the point where the power cord from my computer to the main part of the charger is showing the silver wires (basically I have to wiggle it a bunch of times for it to charge)...and I'm in law school right now so a laptop is a must! I really couldnt wait with mid-terms being next week :eek:

20. jameskohn macrumors 6502

15" 2.6 MBP would totally work for me... in fact I have one configured in my shopping cart as we speak. Just waiting to see what happens next month, and I'd love to avoid the yellow screen issues.

It sounds as though the new Ultra Portable will not really be a "Pro" machine. I'm just hoping the 15" gets a little bit lighter... as it is now it's substantially heavier than my 12" PowerBook.

So do we assume that the announcement ( http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=81896 ) the other day that Apple had ordered all of those 13.3" LED laptop screens was NOT for the new ultra portable as implied? 12" or 13.3"??

21. WannaBMW3 thread starter macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

I know I can't wait either! :D