Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkband

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hey guyz,

I am new to this forum but it looks like a friendly place as I have spent a few hours reading through threads.

I am going to be a college student next year and am starting to look for a laptop. I want a high end laptop in the $1600+ range. I took a photoshop class my senior year in highschool and I would really like to continue to use photoshop on my new laptop as a hobby during college.

I have been using PC's all my life and Mac's at my school. (New ones from a recent 10 million dollar donation to technology). I have been unhappy with my PC's in general (mostly have been getting Dell's which is why I am not considering a Dell laptop). I find them slow at multitasking and I have read that Mac's are particulary good at multitasking. My main multitasking is through basic programs such as internet, AIM, Word processor. I hear vista is sort of buggy and overall Macbook's are just slicker.

I see the new photoshop is $600 :eek: As great as it is, I really will have to take a big chunk out of my wallet to afford that. Are there any other solutions for someone like me who wants to use photoshop without paying that much money?

Is there any way I could get some opinions on which side I should lean. Money is not terribly important to me (graduation present). I appreciate any information from Mac enthusiasts. Thanks again

-John

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You can get some very good discounts on Adobe software as a student, though they can sometimes be a little more strict than Apple, which means it's best to make sure you have some type of proof in case they ask for it. You can get the Master Collection for $500, or Photoshop by itself for $169, if your school offers the License only package like my school does (they sell you a license and a set of disks, but no package or manual), or if not you can still get Photoshop for $300 from Adobe or your school's computer store in the retail packaging.

jW

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Recommend: 2.2 Ghz 15" MBP

Hey guyz,

I am new to this forum but it looks like a friendly place as I have spent a few hours reading through threads.

I am going to be a college student next year and am starting to look for a laptop. I want a high end laptop in the $1600+ range. I took a photoshop class my senior year in highschool and I would really like to continue to use photoshop on my new laptop as a hobby during college.

I have been using PC's all my life and Mac's at my school. (New ones from a recent 10 million dollar donation to technology). I have been unhappy with my PC's in general (mostly have been getting Dell's which is why I am not considering a Dell laptop). I find them slow at multitasking and I have read that Mac's are particulary good at multitasking. My main multitasking is through basic programs such as internet, AIM, Word processor. I hear vista is sort of buggy and overall Macbook's are just slicker.

I see the new photoshop is $600 :eek: As great as it is, I really will have to take a big chunk out of my wallet to afford that. Are there any other solutions for someone like me who wants to use photoshop without paying that much money?

Is there any way I could get some opinions on which side I should lean. Money is not terribly important to me (graduation present). I appreciate any information from Mac enthusiasts. Thanks again

-John

You are on a mac forum, so obviously expect a lot of biased advice to your question "vaio or mac?"

Honestly, I like vista and haven't had a single problem with it. That said, I advise you to buy the lower end macbook pro with the 2.2 Ghz processor and a matte screen. I think that's exactly what you're looking for. Great looks, screen, portability for college, etc. I haven't been that impressed with the vaios, aside from a few of their designs, and they are loaded to the brim with crapware (free trial software that is pre-loaded on your computer and slows it down considerably). Further, a lot of design professionals use macs, so if you're looking at design as a career, it would be beneficial to be familiar with macs as well as PCs. Apple's "bootcamp" software also allows you to load windows on the mac, so you won't ever have to fear compatibility issues. As far as Dell's being slow at multi-tasking versus the mac, you're mistaken. You're comparing your old technology to new macs. High-end dells and high-end macs use the same intel processors and can be made to order with identical specs. Check the Dell m1530 and the Apple macbook pro if you don't believe me.

So, that's that. Get the 2.2 MBP.

-Ado

thinkband

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Thank you for the comments Adokimus and Mal.

Mal-

Do you mean at my school right now (highschool) or my college bookstore?
The $169 set without manual would be just fine since manuals dont help me much anyways. I would like the most recent (CS3) version of photoshop. Is that what I would get? Also btw, no I am not going into photography and design for a living. I am looking more at a business/econ major. Althought, like I said, this would be a nice college hobby.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Thank you for the comments Adokimus and Mal.

Mal-

Do you mean at my school right now (highschool) or my college bookstore?
The $169 set without manual would be just fine since manuals dont help me much anyways. I would like the most recent (CS3) version of photoshop. Is that what I would get? Also btw, no I am not going into photography and design for a living. I am looking more at a business/econ major. Althought, like I said, this would be a nice college hobby.

Most deals I know of are for college, but you should check with your high school to see if they can help you out. They might even hook you up for free if one of your teachers likes you; it is high school afterall. As for college, I know of http://www.campusEstore.com and someone told me to try http://www.campustech.com. Pretty sure they both only sell CS3, but just check the description before you buy it. My school has special software deals, so I can get the CS3 Design Premium package for $299. You might want to check your new schools deals and agreements and shop around to find the lowest price. And make sure you get the right edition: mac or pc. As far as the contents in each suite, check: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/cs3_info.html, but you can also buy photoshop buy itself to save money if that's all you want.

-Ado

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Is there any more information about what schools offer the $169 Photoshop deal? My university's computer store wilol be closed for awhile so I cannot ask them. If this is any help, my university offers Leopard for $79.

thinkband

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Capitan-

I think these deals are offered any government university. My school (that I want to get into) offers $200 off macbook pros and $300 for photoshop. Thanks for the heads up ADO. This is great to know!

I will definitely take full advantage of this deal :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
A student version of Photoshop will run you a couple of hundred dollars.

And that said, a Macbook (not pro) will be more than sufficient for running photoshop. Load it down with ram and you're set. I've been using a blackbook with 3GB of ram for about six months and it's plenty solid a performer.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Unless you plan to do 3D rendering (e.g., games, vectoring, shading, etc.), want the larger display, want to drive a 30" display, lighted keyboard, auto-dim display, need a card slot, or the other little features of a MBP, you should really just go with a MacBook.

Photoshop, as well as the majority of 2D apps (Aperture is a notable exception) do not use the gpu for processing, but instead use the cpu. Thus, value-wise, you'd be better off saving $900 with a MB vs. a MBP, buy yourself a nice 24" S-IPS display (as a second display), Photoshop on your education discount, a keyboard and mouse and call it good. If you have a $100 left over, pick up a nice, large firewire hard drive. You'll be in great shape for any photo work you need to do.

Throw in another $250 for a HTIB (Onkyo HT-SR600 and Toslink cable) and you'll have one kick-@$$ Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 surround home theater, too (ok, 24" screen's a little small, but it will sound fabulous!).

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Defiantly don't get the Vaio it is loaded down with Crap! Get either the Macbook with and external display or The MacBook Pro i'd get the Pro it I were You though.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Unless you plan to do 3D rendering (e.g., games, vectoring, shading, etc.), want the larger display, want to drive a 30" display, lighted keyboard, auto-dim display, need a card slot, or the other little features of a MBP, you should really just go with a MacBook.

Or if you like MacBook Pro's looks more :D

thinkband

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Or if you like MacBook Pro's looks more :D

Like he said. Hey, I am a guy who likes to look good. I just recently got my ipod touch 16gb and frankly I do not like the keyboard layout on the macbook. I have a lighted gaming keyboard for my desktop and I think it is a great thing even though I can type without looking at the keyboard like the rest of you.

I think I would go with the MacBook pro just because being a college student, I do not want a $600 display sitting on my desk when I am not around to let my dorm roommate take care of.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Like he said. Hey, I am a guy who likes to look good. I just recently got my ipod touch 16gb and frankly I do not like the keyboard layout on the macbook. I have a lighted gaming keyboard for my desktop and I think it is a great thing even though I can type without looking at the keyboard like the rest of you.

I think I would go with the MacBook pro just because being a college student, I do not want a $600 display sitting on my desk when I am not around to let my dorm roommate take care of.

Don't forget to buy it with the Apple ADC Student discount if you haven't already used it once. I will be doing this once the new ones are comming out. You get 20% off of the Macbook Pro with it (plus the cost of $100 for membership).

About Photoshop, I did a little research and found that the one i want ($169) is called Adobe Student Licensing for Photoshop CS3 Extended. Like said before, no packaging or manuals but alot cheaper. I know about the $300 version but it's a waste compared to this. I just hope that my private university will carry it.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Like he said. Hey, I am a guy who likes to look good...I think I would go with the MacBook pro just because being a college student, I do not want a $600 display sitting on my desk when I am not around to let my dorm roommate take care of.

Well, if you go with the setup I described, the chicks will be hanging out in your room a lot. :)

(P.S. - Is the word "chicks" still used?)

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Man, chicks dont like computer stuff..

...but they do like expensive stuff. They can smell high price tags from a mile away. And we're talking ACD expensive. So, expect something to the effect of an "Axe" commercial (assuming they think you can afford more expensive things).

::insert cynical outlook::

-Ado :D

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
...but they do like expensive stuff. They can smell high price tags from a mile away. And we're talking ACD expensive. So, expect something to the effect of an "Axe" commercial (assuming they think you can afford more expensive things).

::insert cynical outlook::

-Ado :D

Because the ones that value possessions over anything else are always the awesome ones.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
You'll get all the cool girls just by having a mac ;) Could be the apple freak in me, but when I learn that a guy has a mac as well, it makes him that much cooler lol :) (and no... it doesn't have to be expensive. He could still be chugging away on a g3 imac for all I care hehe)

Macbook pro. 1699 refurb (another 100 bucks off the student price, so if you don't mind the brown box, that's the way to go.. unless you are waiting for the updates and want a new one if they are updated....)

Since you'll be using it for school, you may already have planned, but I'd wait till summer to get it, that way you'll get the most bang for your buck for the lowest level mbp which may be 2.4 or more by then. Later you get your computer for college... that much longer it will last through your college years :)

So yeah, if you can afford it, mbp. I LOVE mine. Something might come out at macworld sf though that may peak your interest :) You may end up wanting an external monitor later, but with a mbp, you will be AOK without one too.

I'd definitely grab a nice sleeve and bag to carry it around in though.... do some searching here and online to find a nice one. One of the best investments you can make :) Also an external harddrive to back up things (you never want to be the "my computer crashed and i lost my final project that i spent 20+ hours typing!" guy, althoug I've never had any apple products die on me, but i may be lucky) time machine will be priceless.

Goodluck with your purchase, and welcome to the world of mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.