MacBook Pro w/ Dual 27" Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisvillar, Jun 16, 2011.

1. chrisvillar macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to do the following: use a new 15" MBP with two 27" Apple Cinema Displays (at their full native 2560x1440 resolution) while using the notebook display at the same time (so three active monitors). If that's not possible, I'd settle for doing just the two Cinema Displays and not using the notebook monitor at the same time.

From the various posts I've read on the forum (and some other research), it looks like neither of these solutions is possible. Seems like the next best option is the Matrix DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go (better than a USB solution given the slow redraw associated with USB). The limitations of the TripleHead2Go seems like it is that you're limited to 1920x1200 - so you can't take advantage of the full 2560x1440 resolution of the Cinema Display.

Two questions for all the smart folks here:

1. Any possible ways to do what I'm ideally trying to to?

2. If the answer is that I'm out of luck, any comments/thoughts on the "next best" option with DualHead2Go?

Thanks!
    -chris

(This is my first post - just joined! But I've been a huge fan and avid reader for a few years)

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

not possible atm =\

It's a shame though b\c the video card can handle that easily. Looks like a Mac Pro or an iMac would be the best mac options. Or, get 27" dvi monitors that are 1920x1200 for half the price each compared to their apple equivalent.

3. chrisvillar thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a bad idea... Those 27" Cinema Displays are awesome (and the higher res is nice) - but your idea is a good one! Thanks!

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

You could do it but you will need a thunderbolt hub which is not yet in stores but should be in store by year end.
    You can use 1 ACD with you TB port.

5. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

the latest 27" imac has 2 TB ports. this might happen for 2012 MBP. the increasing demand for external display connectivity.

it only makes sense to have this power house on the go and possible 2 direct monitor hook-ups.

6. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Wow, what the deuce are you doing to require that much display?