MacBook Pro w/ i7 can't handle GarageBand??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rsherid, May 31, 2011.

1. rsherid macrumors member

gI just upgraded to a 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 4GB of RAM and my GarageBand file still says "Too many instruments to play."

The title says it all.

I'm using the latest version of GB on Snow Leopard. All tracks are locked. Why can't this new machine handle an 8GB GargeBand session?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect lack of RAM may be to blame. How much RAM did your previous Mac have?

3. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Both Macs had 4GB of RAM. This model can go up to 8. Is this most likely the problem?

What about the fact that it was made on a different Mac with a different version of GarageBand?

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I suspect its because of the version change and upgrading the file. What happens if you remove and then re-add a few instruments and then try it?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Okay, that additional information is very helpful. That suggests RAM is NOT the issue, as I originally thought. Since the GarageBand versions are not the same, this suggests possibly that your composition, if it relies on loops, uses extension packs which aren't installed on your new Mac. The problem could also be a misconfigured audio setup - in which case a trip to System Preferences is needed.

6. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Nothing happens when I do that.

Regarding the RAM, what do I need? 2 sticks of 4GB each? Also, what model # do I have: 2010 MacBook Pro 13".

7. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Hmm can I revert back to GB '08 then? I know it works there.

8. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Note: I don't have any Apple Loops - just Real instruments, Software Tracks, and iDrum drum loops.