Macbook Pro w/ new nvidia 400m series GPUs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blizzardnorth, Sep 8, 2010.

1. blizzardnorth macrumors member

Hello,

Been browsing the forums the past few days but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I figured it was time to ask.

Any possibilities that the next macbook pro refresh might bring along new fermi-based mobile GPUs (GeForce GT 400m Series).

Been considering an upgrade from a 13'' unibody macbook 2.4Ghz to a 15'' macbook pro w/ i7 & display upgrade & 7200rpm hd.

I would be receiving this new computer as a college graduation present, and my macbook would be going to a relative.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fermi-gf100-470m-mobile-dx11,11227.html

After checking the numbers on these new cards, I believe apple would probably follow their strategy of putting mid-level cards in their relatively expensive macbook pro... Apple's mid-level GPU approach would probably suggest a GeForce GT 420m or 425m (can always hope for something more substancial though, like a 460m).

Will the refresh probably bring a new GPU, even though they just "updated" to the 330m.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

one of those great mysteries what will apple do?

i personally own a mbp 15" 2.66 ghz i7 with 4 GB ddr3 ram, 7200 rpm 500 GB hdd, nvidia GT 330 m 512 MB gpu, high res glossy, basically the machine you described as the on you have been looking to upgrade to, what are you using your graphics card for? i use mine for play STAR CRAFT 2 and it is AMAZING everything set on high it runs like a dream, warm but not hot, and consistently. The i7 processor is quite a amazing processor and just the way apple put it all together is quite pleasant, although i would have killed for a 1 GB graphics card, after using this gt 330 m i am very happy with it, it don't need the most amazing graphics but it runs NICE.

let me know if you have any other questions =D

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

likely that the next MacBook Pros will max out at Quad-Core i7 > 2.8GHz and have upgraded video boards, likely 400m since Apple is using nVidia now.

5. Bumflake macrumors member

The next version will always be better/faster/nicer.
    I'd suggest to stop waiting on that (as it's never ending) and start using one now. :)

6. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i dont think a macbook pro would ever have the top gpus

7. Bumflake macrumors member

Agree, but the 330 is better than the 9600M GT was and the next one will be better even if Apple sticks with using mid-level cards. :)