MacBook Pro w/ Secondary HD - Constantly Reading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wikus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I removed my optical drive with a Fenvi Caddy. My boot drive is now a 120gb Intel SSD with no documents stored on it at all, only applications.

All of my documents; fonts (about 30,000), PSD files, illustrator files, stock photography, etc (a total of about 100gb) are stored on the secondary drive. I still need to transfer over my music, personal photos, etc to this drive as well (im in the middle of a transition from one computer to another).

The secondary hard drive is a Western Digital 1TB WD10JPVT (one of the new ones at 9.5mm). I hear it crunching away at something even though I'm not doing any kind reading or writing to the drive itself.

Take a look at the image below (click for larger image):

[​IMG]

It seems to be constantly reading, and the rate fluctuates between 500kbps - 3.5mbps.

Whats going on???

2. wikus thread starter macrumors 68000

wikus

I should mention, I transfered 100gb worth of my documents last night. Could it be indexing????

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

could be

It could very well be indexing again. try a search to figure out how to see the indexing service.

4. wikus thread starter macrumors 68000

wikus

I think it *was* indexing. The drive is now completely silent and has had no activity at all for the past couple of hours.

I did a spotlight search for some folders that I know exist on the drive and it kicked in. Clearing the search field stopped all processes.

Thanks though!