Macbook Pro: Wait or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The13thDoctor, Aug 11, 2011.

1. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

I'm planning to upgrade my current MBP, and I'm wondering whether to wait for the next refresh or just get the current i7, HD 6750m, 15".

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

You could be waiting 8 months for a refresh. If you need it, get it, if you don't, wait. There will always be something newer and better around the corner once you buy. But if you keep waiting, you'll never have one.

3. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Always the same question eheheh!
    When the new ones come out, you will ask yourself again the same question eheheh!
    Go and get it as soon as you NEED!

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

as everyone already said. always the same question. always the same answer. buy it when you need it, wait if you don't. there is always a new shiny on the way.

5. maril1111, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

6. The13thDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine. To everybody else: Yeah, I think I might just pickup one next week or so. Thanks for your help guys :)

7. snaky69, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011

snaky69 macrumors 603

He may be a ray of sunshine, but he does have a point, this forum is littered with this question, you might want to use the search button the next time around, most questions that pop-up on here have already been answered hundreds of time.

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Remember this:

If you ask the question should I wait? Then the answer is yes otherwise you would need one immediately and would have not asked the question.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well you have a relatively new MBP right now, why do you want to get something else? Is the computer serving all of your needs?

Personally I had an 06 black MB with upgraded internals and I just got a new 13 inch MBP. For pretty much all of the applications I use (havent used Aperture/Pixelmator yet) I'm getting great performance.

If you are never waiting on your computer, there's no reason to get a new SNB machine as you're obviously not going to see any benefits.

10. The13thDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

The MBP in my sig is from way back in 2009. So since I'm about to start my diploma, i'm thinking of an upgrade/.

11. Adamantoise, Aug 11, 2011

Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Why is that even relevant?

If you're starting your diploma it doesn't necessitate you buy a new laptop.

12. The13thDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

I'm planning to go into rendering and video editing, and my old one feels really sluggy using Blender and such.

13. Adamantoise, Aug 11, 2011

Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well if you feel the performance is lacking then buy a new laptop.

If you feel the performance is fine, then keep your old laptop.

Sorry if these answers seem trivial but ... Your question really is a no-brainer. I don't understand what there is to debate here.

14. The13thDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, anyway I've made up my mind.

15. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Dude, you already have a solid laptop.

Wait until the update from after the refresh and then you'll get your money's worth then.

BUT... If you really really really want it now, and have the money... The only person stopping you is yourself.

16. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree.

I mean, I just bought a 2011 MBP last week. I knew I didn't need it, but I wanted it and had the money to spare so I just went for it.

Lol, don't waste time beating yourself up about it. If you know you're going to regret it when the new one comes out then simply don't buy it.

17. AirFerrari macrumors newbie

AirFerrari

100% true!!!

18. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Thing with me was I started this very same debate in December of last year... I held out until the last week of January and got the C2D. 3 and a half weeks later the refresh came in and man was I kicking myself for being impatient.

Good thing the Apple rep I talked to understood and was cool with everything with the refund so I could buy the newer 13" MBP.

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Why is it stupid and useless?

I believe you contradict yourself in your subjective view, by stating that the OP's question is useless. Where as in reality, the answer to this question, im sure, would be of great interest to the OP!

You may perceive the OP's question as stupid and useless, however, you response is even more stupid! As what have you gained by making your statement? Plainly, contempt and disdain for the OP? You then go on to answer the OP by providing links - :rolleyes:

20. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Someone took a philosophy class in college.

21. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Personal gain isn't primarily looked for here as most of us responding are doing it to help others.

I get what you're saying though.

The reason he posted it was for others benefit, and he does have a valid point. Questions like these can be answered by simply READING instead of creating redundant posts day after day.

I'm not saying this topic was pointless, however the guy that posted that he could have just read instead of posting has a valid reason for saying what he did.

But yea, what the OP should do is just read the plethora of other threads already posted about this.

22. knarzie macrumors regular

wait. update is only 8 weeks away. revolutionary new design, and the new superfast watery-tunnel processors. *****'s gonna be epic.

23. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Lol where did you hear this?

24. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

more like 8 months..... a slight upgrade in the specs is expected but it would not make sense to issue a new design just 8 months after making a new one....i think at least a year is whats expected from the time the last one was release.....

25. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I was actually in the exact same position you were in. I had a 2.26 13" MBP and wanted to upgrade to a 15" MBP, but wasn't sure if I should wait or not. Amazon however made up my mind for me when they ran their 20% promotion. I'm really glad I have it now anyway. It's a lot more powerful than my 13" MBP and I'm loving the bigger screen. No regrets :D