MacBook Pro wakes from sleep randomly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexbates, Sep 3, 2009.

1. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

My MacBook Pro has been waking up from sleep at some of the most random times. Usually it will wake up about 5 minutes after I put it to sleep, and if I'm lucky it will stay to sleep when I try again. Sometimes it will even wake up 30 or 45 minutes after I put it to sleep.

Currently, I have it connected to an external display with the laptop screen closed at all times. It is running a fresh install of Snow Leopard with barely any apps installed yet (mainly just iWork and Microsoft Offiice). I was having the same problem when I was running Leopard, thats why I did a fresh install. So this eliminates a software issue.

This has been happening for a few months now, but it has just started to become a problem for me. When I was running Leopard I did not have an external display. It was waking up at random times without anything connected to it (no display, USB, or MagSafe connected). I would be sitting next to my Mac, and all of a sudden, I hear the Superdrive wake up sound.

I searched and found a thread similar to this, but hopefully it will not have the same solution as the members of the following thread had: "I had this problem with my Macbook. The fix was a logic board replacement."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=557953

I have also attached a screenshot of my system.log in Console. I opened up console as soon as my MBP woke by itself. Hopefully someone here will have some idea what all the stuff in console means or maybe be able to narrow down the problem.

Thanks so much! :)

Attached Files:

2. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Any ideas? Are there any system settings that might need to be changed or is this probably a hardware problem like the logic board?

3. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Mine actually did this the other day, its not connected to anything(no ethernet, not connected to external monitor, and the only app running was mail). I had it powered down for about 2hrs, and then all of a sudden I heard that little tell-tale noise of it waking up, sure enough it booted up:confused:

4. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Hmmm... Is that the only time it's ever happened to you?

5. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Both my iMac and MacBook do this, I've just accepted it to be "normal" with Macs.

7. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

Check under Energy Saver in System Preferences.

Attached Files:

8. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

maybe

just maybe they are dreaming? becoming self aware :confused:
    artificial intelligence..?

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

hmm my iMac does this but only since I installed SL and I don't allow network access when its asleep

10. 156457 macrumors 6502

I now have to shut my iMac down as every time I put it to sleep it will be awake when I return. It usually awakes about 5 minutes after I have left it but can be longer. It happens at midnight waking me up, and through the day, just burning energy away. My MacBook doesn't have this issue, but my iMac has had it much worse since I clean installed Snow Leopard (it used to do it with Leopard, but not every night and every day as it now does.)

Sort it out Apple :mad::mad:

11. usptact macrumors regular

I don't like to wake the dead threads, but I am keeping to have this issue with my MBP 2008. It just wakes up somewhere in the night and wakes me up too! Sometimes this is just once, sometimes I get angry and just switch it off completely!

Browsing on the web didn't result in a good and crystal clear solution. I get the same feeling as in: http://xkcd.com/979/