MacBook Pro wallpaper keeps reverting to a NON default image after every reboot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SugaredJuggler, Oct 15, 2012.

1. SugaredJuggler macrumors member

Just like the title states.

My MacBook Pro running ML 10.8.2 keeps reverting its wallpaper after every reboot and logout. I have tried deleting the com.apple.desktop.plist to no avail. I have even deleted the image its using but somehow it still reverts back to it!!!

I have tried searching everywhere with no success, but if there is an answer somewhere please point me to it.

2. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I also experienced this problem before and what I did was replace the "com.apple.desktop.plist" and "com.apple.desktop.plist.lockfile" in User/Library/Preferences with past backup files. If you try to delete both these files they will just restore itself after restart/login so make sure you replace them from files on a backup from Time Machine or external hard drive data.

3. SugaredJuggler thread starter macrumors member

Awesome I will give this a try once I am back at my desk later this week.

Any idea why this happens?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I had this issue until I installed a fresh copy of Mountain Lion. Hasnt been a problem since.

5. Rob C macrumors newbie

I also had this problem, all i did was set the wall paper from within Preferences instead and that sorted it straight away!! Not had a problem since!!

6. SugaredJuggler thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean "from within Preferences"? Isn't that the normal way to change your wallpaper? Or is there another way that I don't know about?

7. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

What image is it reverting back to?

Are you setting the Desktop image by putting the photo on your desktop "control clicking" and selecting "Set Desktop image". If you are doing this, are you moving the picture after (ie: different folder or deleting)? If so here is your problem. You need to keep that picture in the same place as it was when you set it or it will go back to the default picture (OSX Mountain Lion: Galaxy).

8. SugaredJuggler thread starter macrumors member

Like its stated above it is reverting to a NON default image.

I use a folder for all my desktop images and use System Preferences to change images. I changed the image to another non default image and then deleted the original problem image. But it still reverts back to it.

I have also tried setting it to the default galaxy image but it still reverts back...

I would really hate to have to do a clean install of Mountain Lion and want to try every possible fix before pulling the trigger on that.

9. SugaredJuggler thread starter macrumors member

Solved!!!

I just figured it out!!!!

I had downloaded an app called LiveWallpaper several months ago. It stopped working the way I wanted it to so I guess I just forgot about it. However it was still running whenever the computer was logged in or restarted and once it started up it reverted the wallpaper to what I had originally set months ago. Hence causing this little issue.

The app does not show up in the user login items so I never knew that it was starting up on Log In. I ended up figuring it out by searching for the image in finder and found it in a LiveWallpaper folder. Once the app was deleted everything went back to normal.

Thanks for all your help!!!