MacBook Pro warped lid and service codes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakeChance, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JakeChance macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro's lid was warped on the left side and wouldn't stay closed all the time. I sent it in for service and happily it came back and the lid lines up perfectly (this is a $2k computer and doesn't have Dell written all over it).

I'm wondering what they did though. I have my service sheet and it has two service codes on it

605-1686 PCBA MLB BETTER
    620-4630 ASSY DISPL DRP&SLD DVT M98

I believe the first one is just an indication saying that I have the Pro PCBoard but I'd like some confirmation.

The second I assume deals with the display since it has 'DISPL' but I don't understand the rest of it.

Why doesn't Apple simply have somewhere we can look these codes up on their site?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They won't let you order the parts so why would give you database for that?

As with the codes, that's what they are. The latter probably just says display with panel.

3. JakeChance thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just interested in knowing what they did to fix the problem. I'm very happy that it's fix and that it took less than a week. I just happen to read documentation that comes with my stuff and try and learn something from it. If they're going to include this sort of information, I'd really like to know what it's saying. It wouldn't be too hard for them to make a quick look up database and search form or simply print out what they did without abbreviations. There's plenty of room on the paper.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You are entitled to know what they did so you should simply call Applecare and ask what service was performed. You may not be entitled to know about the service codes but Apple is the right place to ask this question as they will give you the definitive answer, not the forum.

5. skwirl341 macrumors member

It's good to hear that they fixed it. How did it get warped? I have wondered if the machine would warp if you often kept it closed while using it with an LCD.

6. JakeChance thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea how it happen because it came that way. I didn't notice for a while because due to work, life, and everything it had spent most of it's early life in its box and then a comfy computer bag. I've seen a number of other posts on this and other forums about this so I assume it might be one of the kinks with the new unibody design. If you notice it early (like the day you get it) they'll typically do a 'retail swap,' whatever that is, at an Apple store.

7. Jatku macrumors member

I'd say just call them and ask. They've always told me what they did to fix my machine.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The first code MLB = Main Logic Board. They probably replaced that as it probably had the faulty Nvidia 8600GT GPU on it.

9. JakeChance thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it did because it's a unibody MBPro which comes with the 9400M and 9600M GT.

I'll give Apple care a call and see what they have to say and post the results for other curious folk.