Macbook pro warranty expired and can't register applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by etherburn2000, Feb 7, 2008.

1. etherburn2000 macrumors member

My Macbook pro orginal warranty just expired about a month ago. Went to buy the applecare for Macbook pro. Tried to register my apple care but the website indicated my orignal warranty expired and to call apple. Is there anyway I can still use the apple care on my Macbook pro. It didn't say on the box that my laptop had to be still in orignal warranty. I can't return the apple care to the store for a refund.

Any help appericated.
    :(

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Call Apple and explain what happened but to be honest I don't think they will be able to do anything for you. If the truth happens you could try to sell the AppleCare and get most of your money back.
    Good luck :)

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Call Apple.

I'm pretty sure the AppleCare terms explicitly state that it must be activated before the 1 year warranty expires.

Just checked, and it says on my AppleCare box:

4. Littlehoof macrumors member

technically...

it says it has to be purchased b4 the end of the 1yr warranty - not that it has to be registered b4 then... if you bought it b4 that date then take it to an apple service centre and show them the date on the purchase receipt - they might not like to admit it, but they {{{can}}} still register it if you prove the purchase itself was within the time frame... I know because last year my flatmate cheated this way - his MBP was out of warranty by about 2 months but I had an unregistered applecare for my MBP that I bought just a few weeks b4 his 1yr warranty expired. He took mine with the receipt and they honored it - ended up leading to a replacement machine for him after 3 repairs couldn't fix his fault...

5. etherburn2000 thread starter macrumors member

well called applecare department and explained to the person the situation.
    She took my macbook Pro serial number and my applecare no. and asked me to Fax her the receipit for the place where I bought the Applecare.
    I have to wait about 2 weeks for an answer. Hopefully everthing would work out. :confused:

6. etherburn2000 thread starter macrumors member

Apple Care made an exception and allowed me to register

Well explained everything to apple care support and my warranty expired on 2/6/08 and since I only missed it by a day they allowed me to register my apple care. Guess I lucked out since they e-mailed me to mention that for future purchases of Apple care must be used with 1 yr during the warranty. Apple was nice enough to do this for me. :)