Macbook Pro Warranty Options??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youssefm, Apr 6, 2010.

1. youssefm macrumors 6502

So, I have a 2.66ghz 15" Macbook Pro, stock config. from apple, and I was wondering which route should I take in getting a warranty.
    Should I get applecare, or a squaretrade warranty? Sqauretrade offered a $249.99 3 year warranty, and with a coupon code it comes out to $210.00. Which would be better for me to get?
    What advantages do each have over the other, and does anyone have a squaretrade warranty? Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, I'm not 100% what is the deal with SquareTrade but AppleCare is much more reliable than any 3rd party warranty. Warranty from other than manufacturer or seller is a risk and in case you need it, you may drive into troubles

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I get AppleCare for my machines. The service and a piece of mind are definitely worth it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well with SquareTrade, you pretty much have to send everything to them and get it fixed and such; you could not be able to take it an Apple Store and obviously you would not have phone support after the first 90 days. On the plus side, you can choose accidental protection.

AppleCare does not cover incidentals, but otherwise it's the better choice. It's refundable at any time (but cannot be added again if you do choose a refund); you are eligible for 3 years of phone support, depot repair, and store repairs. Also if your computer needs to fixed 3x for the same issue or 4 major repairs, if you ask for a replacement, you will usually get one (remember these numbers are unofficial).

5. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I'll add my vote for AppleCare. I had it on a Powerbook G4 and bought if for the Macbook Pro that replaced the G4, too. The coverage is good and I have found the telephone support to be invaluable.

6. braintumor macrumors regular

take a look at ebay for warranty options for your macbook pro ... way cheaper

7. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeahh, I'm just gonna go with apple care, that way I can go to one of the 4 apple stores near me, and I baby my computer anyway so i dont expect accidental damage. I can get apple care with the education discount for a lot cheaper than the retail price.
    Thanks for all the input :D

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That's a good idea. In my earlier post I almost asked you whether you were near an Apple Store. Because you are, AppleCare should be even more valuable to you. A couple of months ago my MBP quit working. I made an appointment and took it into the Apple Store. A tech there diagnosed the problem as a failed logic board and sent to a repair center for repair that day. The repair center did the work the next day and sent The MBP back that day. The Apple Store called me the next day and I picked it up. Thus, although I did not get the MBP to the Apple Store until Monday morning it was repaired and back in my hands by Wednesday afternoon.

9. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

+1 for Applecare. Be careful of eBay however - there are lots of scams with Applecare and other warranties on eBay.

10. DjEli macrumors newbie

Prolly a stupid question but how does it work if i get AppleCare off ebay? I just got a macbook pro and didnt opt to get the AppleCare since it was like $250bux but i did see some on ebay for like around 100 to 150 bux..what are the steps to get mines covered if i did go that route??

11. hypermog macrumors regular

Some people have said it works... others have said you'll get burned. There have been cases where it registers on Apple's site, but does not turn out to be valid. I would recommend buying from Amazon, since they have a good price and are an authorized Apple retailer.

12. braintumor macrumors regular

You will get a Apple Care code by mail that you will have to register at Apple together with your serial number and thats basically it... Now your warranty is extended...

Yes there could be scams at ebay (they could be everywhere), but just take a reliable dealer who has a 100% positiv feedback and you will be OK ... Dealers like http://myworld.ebay.com/deals4mac/ should be just fine... BTW, you have rights in case you get screwed!

I also got my apple care from an ebay dealer and that saved me a lot of money...

13. xxdesaxx macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum and for the mac world itself. I'm now considering to buy apple care on ebay, but various sources over the net warned me not to buy from ebay (because of fraud...).
    On ebay I also noticed the seller deals4mac with 100% positive feedback. But has anyone have experience with this seller? because I read that people got a mail from apple weeks after the sale, where they are prompted to reply the serial number of the apple care box or the original bill to verify their apple care protection plan (which isn't included with the ebay apple care protection plan).

On ebay, on the other hand, you can only give feedback within 1 month or so (correct me if i'm wrong), so if anyone got betrayed, he/she cannot give negative feedback and the seller has to have a high share of positive feedback.

kind regards
    desa

14. MartinAllen@com macrumors newbie

Bad experience with Deals4Mac applecare

I purchased Applecare for my new Macbook Pro in August, 2010 on eBay from deals4mac. I received the contract number promptly and registered it with Apple and received a confirmation by email from Apple. Today, four months later, I called Apple technical support and learned that the Applecare number I'd been given by deals4mac belonged to another Apple user who'd purchased it with a computer in January, 2010. Evidently the real owner registered the applecare contract and that invalidated the one I thought I had. So, I'm out of luck. Had to purchase another contract from Apple to get the service I needed. It appears that I was scammed. eBay has a buyer protection program but it only applies to purchases within the past 45 days so that is no help. Caveat emptor!

15. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

I like how this guy recommends this seller
    and the first feed back on the guy's ebay account is
    " Feedback From / Price Date / Time
    Unable to use applecare code - seller not responding to requests for refund. Buyer: gluchy ( 80) Nov-28-10 17:13
    Apple Care Protection Plan AppleCare iPhone 4 3G 3GS (#110592615019) EUR 34.00 View Item"

This ebay seller also has not sold anything for 2 months, and has nothing listed currently.
    He is also currently being investigated

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You know what Apple is gonna say when you buy it off ebay, register it and then when your past your 1 year of standard Applecare and try to use it and realize its garbage. Apple is going to say tough luck, thats why you don't buy off ebay. And good luck getting your money from Paypal/Ebay too... I don't know what rights you are talking about, but you aren't getting anything from Apple.

17. ifjake macrumors 6502a

What about if it's been a while since you first bought your machine? I have a MacBook Pro from early 2009, I've already payed for a replacement logic board, but now the DVD Drive is starting to wig out. Can I get what remains of the 3 years since my purchase if I buy AppleCare now or is it too late?

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You have to buy it before the original one year is up.