Macbook Pro was unresponsive for 30 min

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChickenMac, Aug 4, 2016.

1. ChickenMac macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what this problem could be related to? I tried to turn on my Macbook Pro (2011) this morning, and it was totally unresponsive, no lights, no noises. I tried plugging it into different outlets but nothing. I tried Shift-Option-Control-Power (not that I know what that really does, but I read to try it) but nothing there either. After about 30 minutes the light on the adapter turned on, I pressed the power button, and it started up as usual. The battery was at 95%.

Could this just be the first sign of impending demise of an older laptop? It has been functioning fine and has plenty of memory remaining.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

13" or 15"?

If it's a 15", might be worth taking it to an Apple Store. Could be a sign of failing graphics, which is a documented issue. See: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

As keys mentioned above, if it's a 15" or 17" model, take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple store RIGHT AWAY.

There is a motherboard replacement program for the GPU.
    Even if this isn't the problem with yours, it will still get a decent "look-over".

4. ChickenMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies! It's a 13". I checked the link, and it seems the 13" was not affected. It says the problems are different from what I experienced:

• Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
    • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
    • Computer restarts unexpectedly

Mine was just inexplicably dead for 30 minutes. I guess I'll take it in if it does it again.