Macbook pro water damage grounding problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boshbosh12, Jul 18, 2014.

1. boshbosh12 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a water damaged macbook pro 15". The problem being it will not turn on. It works if I remove the battery and then plug it all back in to the mag power cable etc and turn back on. If I ever shutdown the laptop completely I have to remove the battery motherboard connector and repeat the process to get it to power back on. Putting the laptop into sleep mode is fine - and it will always power back up.

I have removed the motherboard to take a look for visible signs of damage and i have spotted a couple of odd marks on the silver plating where the screws holding the motherboard to the case sit on , please see the pictures below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There must be some grounding problem somewhere on this board - which is why the process mentioned above allows the laptop to boot again and behave as it always did - but I am struggling to see what to do about it - and how to potentially fix it. The board is off no value to me in its current state hence opening and taking a look - and I am happy to try any suggestions on possible fixes - please suggest anything!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Liquid damage often causes corrosion that isn't repairable. I can't tell from the pictures, but if those marks around the heat pipes are green in color I'd say the logic board is probably shot.

3. boshbosh12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just dust in the photo :) the only place I see green, is on some of the grounding screws holding the motherboard in place....wondering if i should just paint some conducting silver onto those after thoroughly cleaning the corroded points and see if it works.

4. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

I'd be interested to see if that works!

Macbook logic boards (or at least the one on the 2012 MBP) use spring-loaded pins that make contact with the bottom case cover for grounding... As well as the mounting screws, yeah?

5. boshbosh12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh so thats what those springs are for! Well so far so good I think. Now plugging in the charger the power battery strip on the side lights up - which it didnt do before.

I think there is now a problem with the button which I am now going to try to remove and study.

6. boshbosh12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oddly this is the state of play now.

Now the mag charger light goes red to show charging. LED status battery charge lights down left hand side of case now show up on pluggin - so we are further forward.

It seems that the power button does not work. At all. Ever.

However when I plug in the laptop - it automagically starts and will go to sleep etc once it is on.

If i turn it off completely - I will have to open it up again - pull out battery cable and then plug it all back in - where the process will repeat.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the power button - i believe it is part of the keyboard - the rest of the keyboard is all functioning as expected.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Take the logic board and all over circuit boards and clean them with contact cleaner. Any areas with corrosion scrub with a toothbrush and contact cleaner. Leave to dry then put it back together.

8. boshbosh12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Already done - the machine works wonderfully. The only problem is the power button does not work.