Macbook Pro water damage help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paule350, Aug 3, 2012.

1. paule350 macrumors member

Hey guys here is my story.. My iphone stopped syncing with my MBP but the phone did get a charge from the usb ports. I took it to the store and when they opened it up they found a small water stain (so they say) near the usb ports but no where else. He had no idea how it was there and no where else. Apple would not cover it and wanted like $500 to replace the board. I have a 2011 MBP in great shape that I paid over 2000$ for and now the USB ports do not work. Just got a message the other day now that one of them have been shut down due to drawing too much power. I cleaned off the small stain on the board but no dice I still cant sync any cameras/iphone but it still will charge my iphone. Should I try going to another store or calling ect??

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Try going to another store. If you have not done anything that would damage your Mac then don't worry. Explain and demand a solution.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Your post sounds like you didn't believe they found evidence of liquid, but then you said you cleaned the stain off the board. If there was a stain then something had to cause it...

You could try going to another store, but I've heard that once they find evidence of liquid damage they put a note in their system about it. If that's the case then going to a different store probably isn't going to help, because they'll look up the serial number and see it's been flagged for liquid damage.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Look into your (or your parents') renter's/homeowner's insurance policy. Many polices cover accidental damage to your property and may cover at least part of the cost of repair/replacement.

5. paule350 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't spill anything on the laptop at all so I was shocked when I was in the store.. Only way it could have happened is from liquid getting into the usb cable and me inserting the cable.. The tech had no clue how it was only damaged in one little spot but no where else..

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I understand that you don't know how it got there, and it sucks. But if they noted liquid damage then I'm not sure there's much you can do about it. Not trying to be difficult or confrontation...just being honest. Somehow it seems to have gotten wet. If there's evidence of liquid damage it voids the warranty, hence them wanting to charge you for the repair. Like I said, you can try going to a different store and pleading your case, but be prepared for them to want to charge you for the repair.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Did you clean it off completely? If so you can probably go to another store and tell them the situation - you were told it was liquid damaged by a genius but have never had liquid touching it and want it to be rechecked. Even if it's on their system, if they get to it and can't find evidence then they may replace it for you.