Macbook Pro water damage problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmkim93, Apr 9, 2013.

1. tmkim93 macrumors newbie

I bought my 13 inch Macbook Pro in August 2011. Since then it survived 2 water spills. After the first water damage I had to replace my trackpad. However the second water spill hasn't shown any significant malfunctions. However my laptop has been having occasional glitches and I think one of my USB ports don't work anymore. The occasional glitches randomly shut down my computer for a few seconds. Then after I press a random keys it turns back on.

Can somebody help me diagnose and find the nexus of the problem?

To reiterate, the model is a 13 inch Macbook Pro August 2011 edition. I have OSX Mountain Lion version 10.8.3

2. trikky macrumors regular

I'd say it has something to do with operator error. Operator error in allowing liquids to spill on the laptop not once, but twice. :eek:

3. tmkim93 thread starter macrumors newbie

how would i go about this error?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Keep liquids away from your MacBook.

Or this
    [​IMG]

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Probably water damage.
    If the logic is damaged, it will cost 600+ USD to replace.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Go back to using pen and paper. lol

I guess some people just can't use electronics without breaking them.

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

with my luck i would tilt my head down to look at the keyboard and it would dump on it anyway.

8. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

reinstall the os ,sounds like is hardware tho ,thats all you can do without spending money.

9. karpich1 macrumors regular

A friend of mine drenched his older 13" MacBook Pro TWICE as well.

In his case he would use the MacBook Pro at night before going to bed. When done, he'd close the lid and put it vertically between his bed and the night-table.

He'd also, from time to time, keep a glass of water on the night table AND his alarm clock. So... obvious user-error: alarm clock rings, he reaches for it, knocks over glass, spills on the laptop.

ANYWAY, the first time it did what yours sound like. Minor glitches + dead USB. Second time, well it was toast. He took it in to repair. They had to replace darn-near everything. And since either AppleCare was done (or because it was water damage) they charged him almost as much as a new MacBook Pro 13"

And before you suggest... the friend was NOT me. I have two night tables :) One for my iPhone + iPad and one for my glass of water.