MacBook Pro Water Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gco212, Jul 19, 2011.

1. gco212 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

A little help would be oh so nice. My buddy spilled some water on his Fall 2010 Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, after drying it out for a few days, we hit the power button and it is giving us a single beep from the Logic Board, which I believe means the memory is not being recognized. I checked the seating, and it is set nicely, so that's not the problem. I now believe the board is fried, and was wondering about options after he goes to an Apple Store and finds out if the sensors were tripped.

I know Apple will charge out the butthole to replace that part, are there secondary market options where he could send it into for a price of, say, less than or close to $500?

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

ebay would be ur best bet.

3. orangepeel macrumors member

Logic board is by far the single most expensive component in the computer. I don't think you can get it repaired for less/close than $500 anywhere. Also the extent of the damage is probably more than just the logic board. Hard drive, battery, bluetooth, wifi adapter, etc... could also be damaged.

How much water are you talking about?

4. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Sell the damaged macbook pro on ebay. You can still get a good chunk of change for it. Take the money you get from selling it and add 500 to it and buy a new 1.

5. macrominnie macrumors member

If your friend lives in the U.S., Expert Mac Repair has a repair service for these issues that is in the price range discussed, depending on the model.

http://www.expertmacrepair.com/liquid-spill-repair/faq/

I know people who have been tremendously pleased with their repairs. The business get rave reviews on Yelp. The repair service includes a 1-year warranty.

Your friend could get a quote online or contact them.