Macbook pro water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leenawiddi, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Leenawiddi macrumors newbie

Okay so yesterday i spilled water on my macbook pro 15'. Its only about 5 months old and in really well taken care of. It wasnt too much but i freaked out, flipped it over and dried it with a towel. It stayed on for a few minutes then the screen started spazzing out and went black. I turned it off and dried it with a blow dryer for a few minutes. Turned t back on and it worked fine for about 20 minutes when the screen went black again, but my music was still playing. I turned it off and turned it back on and the apple startup screen came on, loaded, and then went black again. I trned it back off and havent turned it on since. I kept it flipped over in front of a fan all night. Today, i unscrewed the back cover and saw VERY little water. I flipped the mac back over and put it in front of the fan. Do you think itll work? What else should i do? Help please!! :(

2. Inconsequential, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012

Inconsequential macrumors 68000

You should have left it longer than 20 minutes.

You need to leave it for 48 hours and try it again.

However, given you turned it on too soon and it was running when water was spilt over it, I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Chances are not good. You needed to turn it off immediately. Put it in a bag of rice or some other dessicant to absorb the water and leave it there for several days. Unfortunately the damage has probably already been done since you tried to turn it back on. Water and electrical current don't mix well.

4. MonkeyPantz macrumors newbie

Kind of funny, the exact same thing happened to me, but the water spill wasn't my fault in this case.

The laptop works perfectly fine just the screen died, an external screen helped me save my data etc.

I brought it to the apple store, and they told me they have to send it in as it was a late 2008 unibody macbook pro 15 inch.

If they somehow won't see that it is a water damage then there would be a $310 flat fee and they replace everything that its broken, he mentioned, the hardrive, logic board, display, and some other things.

I will let you know once I heard back, even tho I dont have big hope for them to fix it for $310

5. Leenawiddi thread starter macrumors newbie

What did you tell them was wrong with it? And how long is it gonna take to hear back?

----------

Thanks for the responses. Is there any indicator on the macbook that tells if theres water damage? Is there any way for me to tell if theres damage or corrosion without turning it on? I want to leave it off for a couple of days

6. MonkeyPantz macrumors newbie

They are supposed to call me back within 48h which I don't think they will do.

But I should have it back within 7 business days, while they told me it should be faster.

I told them my screen gave up and that it might be liquid , I was just being honest tho hoping they would help me out:)

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well you killed it when you didn't immediately shut it down. Sorry bro.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I believe there are sensors inside, but I'm not sure of the locations. But if they open it up and see corrosion, they're going to know what happened anyways. Your best bet is to wait several days to let it completely dry out. Then you can see if it starts up or not. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though. Turning it back on when there was liquid inside it very possibly caused a short somewhere inside.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Pretty much. If water gets in it, and it's running, goodbye in most cases. The fact that you've flipped it a few times and THEN found water means you got it pretty much everywhere. Do NOT touch it for over 48 hours. Keep it drying with the back off. If it works, consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky. If it doesn't, don't be surprised.

10. sd109927 macrumors newbie

miracle!!!

i have a 2012 mbp 13 inch and i spilled liquid on it (water based) about november of 2013 . I finally was able to take to an authorized apple repair tech(not apple store). He told me it would cost $1200 plus to repair so i decided not to fix it. (cheaper to replace than repair). he told me that it did boot up and so when i got it home i turned it on. I've been on it now for over a couple of hours now and it still works!! Is my luck going to run out or is this the luckiest day of my life? Also, if the mbp does eventually go out will I get better results taking it to an apple store?

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I think it's almost mandatory that everyone who spill liquid on their laptop stress that it was very little. It's a coping mechanism, as if saying this will undo all the damage.

If your six month old drinks "just a little bit of paint thinner", he's just as dead as if he drank the whole bottle.

Stop turning it on, put the board in an ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water and bransonic EC(1 gallon of water to 103 ml of EC), put it in a small baking try afterwards of 99% alcohol, let it dry for a day in a fan, then put it back in the computer. Anything else like putting it in a fan without the other steps, or just going "it was barely any water" as you turn it on again, and you're just asking for death.

Also, use the music industry motto here of beg borrow & steal. Don't buy an ultrasonic cleaner just to do this.. beg a dentist or someone to let you use theirs, and to let you throw a bunch of corrosive fluid in it. :)