MacBook Pro Water Damages?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpaceOdyssey, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SpaceOdyssey macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Alright... Incredibly stupid but I was drinking water near my macbook. I accidentally hit the bottle and water splashed on my mac. Some of it splashed on my screen, others on my keyboard. Luckily I have a "Logix keyboard protector", so I don't believe that water seeped through the keyboard.

Although, after a few seconds, my macbook did turn off, shutting down completely. I turned it out and it worked. Now I'm using it and it works. Obviously you can't diagnose something from words, but do you think it would be fine if it turned on and that I'm currently using it right now?

What are some precautions or procedures I should take right now?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

if you spill water on it.
    ALWAYS turn off asap.
    get water out
    and let it stand and dry, maybe help it with a hairdryer. (i will say atleast 2-3 hours, more depending on the amount of water)
    did the same thing some years ago when i had just got my old 15" MBP.
    did fine until 2 weeks ago where a classmate dropped coffee in it, died before i had a chance to do something:mad:

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I've been there. My Mac was probably 6 months when it took a coffee bath.

Even though it works fine, you can probably forego the AppleCare purchase if you haven't already bought it. The moisture sensor probably tripped and it's no longer in warranty.

1 more year with no issues and I figure my spill will have saved me $200.

Then water did seep into the logic board.

Hold it upside down and gently fan it with a blow dryer. Not too much heat though.

4. SpaceOdyssey thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got home from an appointment with the Geniuses. The technician opened my Mac and told me there was no water damage, at least not critically. The only place with a bit of water was near the batteries, otherwise the rest are perfectly safe. I think the logicskin really saved my
    Mac there... I mean it was at least 250 ml of water but the cover saved most of it from seeping inside the keyboards.

In any case thanks for the tips guys. I'm probably not going to turn it on until tomorrow to make sure.

5. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

np SpaceOdyssey, best of luck with it.
    And always have beverages in something sealed if it is next to you mac.
    if not an arms length away is a good standard to keep in mind:rolleyes:

6. SpaceOdyssey thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely! I learned that I gotta be more careful. That bottle of water could've costed me 100s if not 1000s. Thanks for the help again Schranke and Krazy Bill.