MacBook Pro Water Sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Derrick Velasco, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

Does the MacBook Pro have a water sensor in it? I know this is a little silly to ask, but the iPhone does. SO why not it's more expensive brother?
    Thanks!:D

2. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

I've never heard anyone mention it, but it's plausible.

3. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Yes it does. If you pour water on it, it will automatically shut down and stop working. Forever.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it doesn't.

Your iPhone break, they REPLACE it. If it's water damaged--they DON'T replace it.

If your computer breaks, they diagnose it and take it apart and fix it if needed. If they see water damage--they DON'T fix it.

Not necessarily.

5. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

There's a good youtube video of someone pouring a bottle of water in his MBP keyboard while it is on... no visible effect in the movie (don't know what happened after that though).

6. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, Interesting. Thank you guys.
    Seriously you guys rule.

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

are you serious? it's fake i hope you know that, and if not, i feel sorry for you

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

It's common for phones, not just the iPhone, to have water sensitive stickers. I had it on my cheap LG phone.

Laptops at the moment, aren't small and portable enough to be commonly dropped into the toilet, sink, or pool.

9. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

:p Yeah that's true. Thanks for the information!

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

11. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

:D HAHA! I like that!

12. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

LMAO

13. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

You're talking about a water damage INDICATOR, not a water SENSOR. Since he said sensor, I'm pretty sure the op is talking about a device that senses the presence of excessive moisture, and kills the power to protect the sensitive electronics.

Such a device is found in most phones, as I can remember using that feature in an old LG phone I had years ago. It went through a pool AND a hot-tub... never broke, just disabled itself until it was dry.

I would be shocked to learn that Apple does not employ this technology in pretty much all of their products, though I cannot say for sure.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you will be shocked.

you're giving LG too much credit in implementing a water "sensor".

its not disabling itself per say, its just shorting out until the moisture evaporates.

I've left my LG phone through a full cycle in the washing machine. I tried turning it on shortly after and all it did was sputter and make random noises. Flooded the thing with WD-40 (water repellent) and waited a few days and it was back to normal.

Edit: seems like "sensor" and "indicator" are interchangeable. I think we're all talking about the sticker that turns pink when wet. That is it. No fancy dancy technology implemented.

15. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

16. swordth macrumors newbie

I did something smilar to an old compaq computer of mine. Nothing broke, but the touchpad did go unresponsive. However, after it dried, the touchpad worked again. I think touchpads just generally dont like water, until their dry again.

17. heron88 macrumors 6502

their is a thin sheet of plastic over the lower casing of that mbp. you can see the light reflecting off it

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Video probably uses Deionized Water or Mineral Oil.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I'm pretty sure the OP means the indicator, sensor, thing that turns red, whatever.

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It seems that more people have little accidents with their cellphones and often it involves water or liquids that contain water and some of those people will return their cellphones to the store for warranty repair. The water sensor (as you call) it is there to provide instant proof the device came into direct contact with a body of water allowing the store to give you a quick answer, whether or not they'd repair the device under warranty. In the case of a MacBook/Pro however, there isn't any such sticker, yet... Often it's not required as liquids will leave some form of residue on the PCB, cause an electrical short or cause countless other types of damage.

Why you ask?

21. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

I think I get the idea, no I'm not going to drench water all over mine,
    I love it heart & soul.
    Because I want to know more about it! :D

22. rivermandan macrumors newbie

just a FYI for all you guys that think that macs don't have water indicator stickers. they sure do! on my 13" unibody MBP, there is one directly between the trackpad and the frame, two on the edges of the keyboard's backlight panel, and one directly in the centre of the same panel.