MacBook Pro Waterdamage - Works Fine For 30 Seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dudley do right, Jan 4, 2015.

1. dudley do right macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro sustained a tea spill.

At first nothing was working, then after a couple days, (only when connected to power) it stated powering on for short periods of time.

At first power would stay on about 5 seconds. It got progressively "better" staying booted up for 10, 15 then 20 seconds.

Right now it's consistent at 30 seconds. The computer goes to sleep for 10 seconds before I'm able to power it back on.

Purchasing a new logic board is not in my current budget.

Its frustrating because, while the computer is powered on, it works great (Im able to go online, play iTunes, edit photos ect) but then I'm interupted by the abrupt power off.

Is there possibly some kind of damage control mechanism that is causing the computer to power off? Or any recommendations other than not spilling tea on my MacBook?

Thanks

Dudley Do Right

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

off the top of my head, it could be the cpu is overheating, and it is dropping power to prevent the cpu from exploding.

if you can't afford a logic board then you have to disassemble the entire computer and remove any traces of liquid damage

does your computer have any way of detecting liquid contact???

is it a possibility that you can remove all traces and all evidence of liquid spills and then just take it back to apple, under warranty and play dumb and get it fixed? heh

3. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I'd find an authorized repair shop and let them take a look.

Last year my MacBook Air sustained a splash of coke... it worked fine minus the sticky keys and uneven backlighting.

I took it to a repair shop, they ended up replacing the keyboard and cleaning the logic board of dried coke... and told me that I got really lucky all things considered.

It cost me $400 and I used the laptop every day for the next 14 months till I sold it today for $500 after picking up a new 15" Pro.

I bought a keyboard overlay cover soon after and have one for the new Pro as well... worth the $5 investment.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i hurt my back, my home made ice bag leaked all over my mac book air
    i waited it to dry out
    it would only work when plugged into the power supply and the battery
    would not charge.

i had square trade accidental damage protection , and mailed it in to iresq and they replaced bout $900 something in parts and sent it back

square trades coverage limit is the one bad thing about them. if you buy a 999 macbook air and a warranty from them , they won't spend 999 more in repairs over the warranty period.

i had two dells with their complete care, and they kept fixing it over every accidental claim i had.

i would turn in a claim with dell, telling them i need a new keyboard. it would come back with a new keyboard and a new lcd, heh

i wish apple care was like dell complete care

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would take your Mac to the Genius Bar and see what they say. They see this kind of thing all the time and are better equipped in many ways to address the problem(s), than most of us are.