Macbook Pro weight increased after battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TAIMOS, Jun 23, 2016.

1. TAIMOS macrumors newbie

TAIMOS

Hi guys,

After my battery died I have replaced it in Authorized Service Provider. This costs nearly 140$.
    However after replacement I noticed that the weight of my Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2014) has been significantly increased. Is it something I should worry about or there is a chance that they put some not genuine battery into my device? Is there any way to check this? Has anyone had the same experience?

2. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Maybe they replaced it with a lead battery? :p

Kidding aside. Do you think it's morel likely that you were just not used to picking it up for the short time that it was away?

I can't think of any reason why it would weigh any significantly different. Do you have access to a scale? You could weight it and reference online sites with spec sheets of your model.

3. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

If you didn't get it repaired by Apple themselves, then there's a good chance that the battery was third party.
    Doesn't mean that there's any cause to worry.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Maybe they used a heavy duty battery ;-)

More seriously, weigh yours and compare it with the weight in the specification and be guided by that.

5. Brandon0448, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

It's all those extra electrons in there (sarcasm).

All joking aside have you actually weighed it or is this a subjective comparison? Even if they did use an aftermarket battery (which they probably did) it shouldn't change the total weight very much. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you notice it starting to bulge or getting unusually hot.

Edit: I didn't notice that your rMBP was a 2014 at first. Why in the world did you replace the battery of a MacBook that new? There is no way you could have put the 1000+ cycles that it takes to wear out one of these batteries on a laptop in that amount of time.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't make batteries. All batteries in Apple laptops are "third-party".

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Yes, but the batteries that they use are usually more reliable than third party seller's.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

All Ford components are likely made by external, non-owned Ford suppliers too - the actual point is that Apple warrant their batteries and not anyone elses, a difference made clear by the "3rd party" moniker.