Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
España
Hi all,

I've been having some issues with my mid-2012 MacBook Pro (A1278) which I just don't know how to solve. I have recently formatted my whole HDD and installed a fresh copy of macOS, which has made my MBP run like the first day I bought it, but these issues persist, which I am guessing are hardware related. Apple diagnostics showed no hardware issues at all.

One of the issues is that the laptop freezes from time to time, and the screen goes crazy, like you can see on the screenshot. This seems to happen mostly at the moment I place my MBP on top of a desk (while it is on), so basically when any sort of contact occurs, however careful I try to be.

The second issue is, a very loud beeping comes from the laptop, again it seems to me it happens when it is on and I am placing it on top of a desk.

Could this be the RAM getting lose and the laptop going crazy whenever I move it? Or is it something more difficult/pricier to fix?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-04-06 at 13.20.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-04-06 at 13.20.57.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 1,402

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Could be RAM or the RAM slot. That’s what the beeping part suggests to me. Not sure it would be doing any beeping if it was the display cable, display connector on the logic board, or the display itself.

I can see it’s a 13” system in your screenshot, so it’s got nothing to do with a dGPU as it doesn’t have one.

Run Apple Diagnostics through a full test (if it still happens after re-seating the RAM.)

https://support.apple.com/HT202731

marcxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
España
Thanks guys, will definitely try to reset the RAM to see if that does the trick.

@jerryk, battery is indeed over the cycle limit (1136) but that should only mean it doesn't last as long as it did before, which it doesn't, but shouldn't cause any other problem, I hope?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks guys, will definitely try to reset the RAM to see if that does the trick.

@jerryk, battery is indeed over the cycle limit (1136) but that should only mean it doesn't last as long as it did before, which it doesn't, but shouldn't cause any other problem, I hope?

When the battery gets old they can expand dramatically as gas builds up inside. In some cases bulging to 1.5 times or more in size. This puts pressure on internal components nearby like the main board, keyboard, trackpad, etc. This expansion can get to point where it starts deforming the aluminum case, cracking the trackpad glass, etc. And then there is the issue with a battery fire like the Samsung Galaxy 7 Note.

Bottom line is you should inspect the system. or have a shop inspect it. And I always recommend replacing a battery when it is past it's useful cycle count.

marcxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
España
When the battery gets old they can expand dramatically as gas builds up inside. In some cases bulging to 1.5 times or more in size. This puts pressure on internal components nearby like the main board, keyboard, trackpad, etc. This expansion can get to point where it starts deforming the aluminum case, cracking the trackpad glass, etc. And then there is the issue with a battery fire like the Samsung Galaxy 7 Note.

Bottom line is you should inspect the system. or have a shop inspect it. And I always recommend replacing a battery when it is past it's useful cycle count.

That is immensely helpful, definitely appreciate it. I think that's enough to convince me to spend a bit to upgrade the battery and avoid further problems down the line, hopefully the other problem is just a question of resetting the RAM cos other than that it just works like a charm, would be a shame if it was a bigger problem.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
doesn't look like problem with the battery, more like the logic board is falling down, can be also the problem with screen

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
That is immensely helpful, definitely appreciate it. I think that's enough to convince me to spend a bit to upgrade the battery and avoid further problems down the line, hopefully the other problem is just a question of resetting the RAM cos other than that it just works like a charm, would be a shame if it was a bigger problem.

Reseating the RAM is cheap ($0 if you do it yourself) and easy. Best of luck. You have the last MBP that the end user could easily maintain and upgrade themselves.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
If you get "3 beeps in a row" -- that's an indication of "RAM troubles".

I think that it could be:
- RAM slot -- intermittent contact from back of case "pressing on" the topmost RAM DIMM (that's why you see it act up when you set it on a surface)
- Also, the SATA ribbon cable that connects the internal hard drive to the motherboard (it's a "known weak" component on the 2012-design non-retina MBP's). The cable "wears" the internal connections go bad, or sometimes it even "shorts out" against the back cover. Although this doesn't sound like a problem that would give you "the three beeps".

Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere close?
Apple -used to have- a free replacement program for the ribbon cable in the 2012 MBP's.
I'm not sure if it's still in effect.
Might be worth taking it in an having it replaced.
They could also check the RAM as well.

With the RAM, you might
- take off the back cover (you need a Phillips #00 driver for the screws, and pay attention to where "the long screws" go).
- gently remove the RAM. Clean off the contacts, then reseat the RAM back into the DIMM slots.
Put the back on and see if that changes anything.

If you're STILL getting the display problems
- Take off the back
- Remove the RAM DIMM "nearest to you" (topmost slot with back off). Leave it "out" for now.
- Put the back on.
- Try to boot and run that way a day or two.
Do you still have the same problems?

If taking out the upper RAM makes the computer "run as it should", then what I would do is:
- Buy an 8gb DIMM and put it in "the BOTTOM slot" (with the back off)
- Leave the top slot "empty".

If that works, just leave the bad RAM slot empty, and go with "what works".

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You just pop the back off and reset the RAM. While you are in there you can see if the battery is bulging. Also, check the battery health. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

This doesn't necessarily show up under battery health. If the battery is swelling and it's not a retina model, it's quite accessible. You can always open the back and check for signs of swelling, which need not relate to reported battery health. That just tells you percentage of initial capacity.

It's harder to access anything on the retina models, and ram is no longer in dimm form.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It might be the RAM. It came lose in my computer and there was a beeping with it. As for the screen, I don't know the answer for that.

Amreesh Phokeer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2020
Macbook pro-13inch mid 2012, MacOS Catalina. 12GB RAM (8gb + 4gb). I checked the battery all good. I removed the 4gb RAM and it stopped beeping and freezing with the weird screen. This worked like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.