Macbook pro went from working great to not turning on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarahlizzie, Jul 11, 2015.

1. sarahlizzie macrumors newbie

sarahlizzie

A little over a week ago my Macbook pro 2012 had been working great, it had the graphics card malfunction that many MacBooks around that age had, and I got it replaced in April 2015. Well on July 1st (Canada Day) I was using it to watch a show, it was working great, and had been working amazingly since it was fixed in April with zero problems, I turned it off to go start a fire to watch the Canada day fireworks, and once it was done I went to go and use it again and nothing. Was not charging, was not turning on, and the battery light on the side would not light up to show how much life was left. It was never dropped, never had anything spilt on it.

I was wondering if this is a quick fix, or if it's something more major? It always had a god battery life (with moderate use it used the battery up in 5-6 hours).

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Dead-dead? Have you tried holding down the power button and counting to 10, letting go, and then press the power button again (for about a second, like you *mean* to turn it on. Does it power up with another power supply?

3. sarahlizzie thread starter macrumors newbie

sarahlizzie

I have tried all of the options mentioned and more. I brought it into best buy to try their power cords, they let us try 4 different ones and it was not charging or showing any light while plugged in.

Edit; One showed a green light while plugged in but wouldn't charge or start up while plugged into it.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Looks like a fried logic board. Guess you'll have to send it back to the store.

5. Sonoransun macrumors newbie

I have seen this happen in the school I work at. One time it was a bad battery, which at 2-3 years old is possible. The other is a bad power unit inside the computer. The batteries use to be about $100.00 the last time I order one for a teacher. But, since it seems the battery life was good until now, it could be the internal power supply. My suggestion is, if possible, take it to any Apple store.